SXE472

Countrycar

Reaction score
I finally got around to picking up the turbo that will replace the old 38r I've been running for what I want to say has been close to 16 yrs now. I went ahead and posted up some pictures here as well. I'm still missing my down pipe & clamp as well as the 5.5x4 intake hose and an intercooler boot which I should be receiving Thursday. We'll see how my schedule is these coming weeks in order to complete the installation.

Attachments

• IMG_1969.jpg
    IMG_1969.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 180
  • thumbnail_IMG_1983.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1983.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 159

Countrycar

Reaction score
I'm running 300/200 Injectors with the supporting mods as well. I will keep y'all posted. It's gonna be acouple weeks maybe before I can get it installed though. Work just seems to get in the way. :)

Countrycar

Reaction score
What turbine housing size? T4?

90/T4. I did some prep before putting the turbo in, in the hopes that this would help with any noise and or heat as well. Actually my build is very similar to yours.
99.5 F-250 Stage-6 AT, 4x4 CC
Hydra
Crower Rods
300/200 injectors
Ported Polished Heads w Crower springs & shims & Ford valves w 3 angle cut & H-11 studs
Fire ringed w cometic Head gaskets
Mahle pistons w Valve reliefs cut and delipped w Ceramic coated tops and Teflon coated skirts and bearing
GH stage-1 cam
HV Lpop
bts twins Hpop
Hellman Sump system w Fass fuel system & 5/8 lines to Y block to 1/2 to the rear of heads
Hellman Intercooler
H-11 studs at crank & Billet girdle.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1830.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1830.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
Where did you get the turbo?
Bought it from a guy on FB out of Wisconsin. It was very slightly used with about 200 miles on it. It's kinda funny because I was about to buy a brand new one, when a friend called me and said he'd seen this one. So it worked out pretty good in my favor.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
My standard journal bearing GT42 don’t spool till about 2000. Pretty sure mine is 1.15

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
My standard journal bearing GT42 don’t spool till about 2000. Pretty sure mine is 1.15
I bought a S400 .90 housing machined to fit the GT42 to help it spool so we will see how it does. I'm hoping its spooling decent by 2000 rpms. My next step would be a custom billet wheel and compressor housing.

Countrycar

Reaction score
If it seems to spool a little slow for my taste, I might try doing a BB install and see if this helps any. But from what I understand, the sxe472 doesn't spool much different from a 38r. I've got a friend, who has ran both and he couldn't really tell, but maybe a slight difference between the 2, being the sxe472 spooled slightly slower. I think with the cam and heads, it should really help though. If I'm not happy, I'll get a BB center cartridge installed on this sxe 472 and see what this does. But for now, I'm going to run it as is.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got around today to driving the truck after the sxe472 install. I did see that at 80-85 mph, my egt's would hit 1000-1025. It just seems to me that even though this turbo is bigger than my 38r, that it should run more efficient and cooler egt's as well.. This is everything I've read about these turbo's. Anyhow looking for a little feed back from some of you that may know, or have ran these turbo's.

Swaan

Reaction score
It will only run more efficient and cooler at full throttle. Cruiseing it will run hotter. Just nature of the beast with big turbos. This is why people dont run large chargers on tow vehicles, they dont run efficiently down low in the rpm range.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I actually just got under the truck, and found a small leak where my uppipes bolt together at the manifold. I'm gonna have to try to get a better seal there. Hopefully this will help some. thank you.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to come back on and give a report on my install. It wasn't with out it's challenges, but I got it done. In the first picture you can see a black sharpie mark on the turbo, because I couldn't get the CAC piping and boots to line up, so I figured I could take this port down to give me some more rotation from the turbo. I actually took more off than what I show in the picture. I'd take a bit off and fit it back up until I got what I felt was enough. Removing this material, helped quite a bit with the rotation of the housing. And the last picture, is the turbo installed. I took the truck out several times over the last few days and was quite impressed with how responsive it is. I didn't drive much in town, so can't give a lot of testimony here. My first drive put me straight out to the highway, and over to the muffler shop to get the down pipe rewelded. It was here I noticed something was off, as my egts were slightly higher than I expected from this turbo. Turned out I had an exhaust leak at my driver side up-pipe to ex-manifold. The factory exhaust nut & bolts were not up to the task of seating this flange because I stripped the heads off when attempting to Tq them further. So for this task I opted for a set of grade 8 nuts and bolts, and this worked beautifully with very minimal effort. And just in case anyone is curious, I used a grade-8 8mm x 60mm bolt with a lock washer and nut, and this fit perfectly in the Ex-manifold side as well. This is what should have been used here as opposed to the soft bolts the come in the factory exhaust manifold to up-pipe location. After this repair, I was able to take the truck out once more, and again I hit the highway. The first thing I noticed driving down the road and in my DD tune at a cruising speed of about 70 mph and 0-5lbs of boost, the sxe is much quitter than the 38r. This sxe472 spools very nicely, drive's great, and when pushed, it doesn't take much and the turbo comes up and hits 30lbs quickly. The boost limiting factor here was very easily felt by the DD tune that I was in. At this point, same scenario cruising at 70 mph +/-, and I switch the Hydra to my hot tune, and lay in to the throttle, and with in 3 seconds or so the boost is coming up hard, and 45lbs of boost registers quickly on the boost gauge and I pull out of the throttle. So at a stab of the throttle, 80-85mph came up very quickly as well. I'm taking a trip soon back to California, so I'll report back as soon as I've acquired some more driving time. So far I'm very impressed with how this big turbo functions when compared to the 38r. But honestly, I don't think you can compare these 2 turbos with one another. My comments on the comparison of these 2 turbos is based off of my personal experience and my personal build being that nothing else was changed but the turbo itself. My truck was not built as a tow rig, but a hot street truck.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 116
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 122
  • sxe472 cover.jpg
    sxe472 cover.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 113
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 130

Swaan

Reaction score
10 blade compressor wheel is virtually silent. And compared to a 38R everything is silent. Lol

Glad you got it figured out. As a hot street truck that does not tow should be fine! .

Latest posts

Members online