KC 68mm Stage 3 vgt turbo

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Our KC 68 stage 3 turbo is very new to the open market, but it has been well tested. We started off with a couple of average joe testers and a couple of un-biased, well known performance shops to test out the turbos. Everyone so far has been SUPER IMPRESSED! It has been run with many different combos from stock injectors to 205cc injectors and everyone has said that they are super impressed.

Here are the specs:

KC 68mm Stage 3 VGT turbo

Application: 6.0 Powerstroke
Recommended Injector size: 175cc - 215cc

Specs:
Compressor = 67.8x94 billet 11 blade single plane wheel with extended tips (we offer a 6x6 upon request)
Compressor AR= we offer a .58 standard with .72ar race cover coming soon
Turbine = 74x70 10 blade gt40 wheel (this is our own proprietary gt40 based wheel unlike any other)
Bearings: 360 thrust bearing with larger than stock journal bearings
All Turbos are 100% dismantled, rebuilt, and rotating assembly balanced. Compressor covers are modified on a CNC machine. Turbos are 100% inspected and checked out before shipping.

$1,900 plus a stock turbo core ($300 core charge)

Best way to contact us is through email

[email protected]

Installedintruck_zps555d8755.jpg

Readytoship_zps30566220.jpg

BilletCompressorWheel_zps2371868d.jpg

Customgt40wheel_zpsda24c691.jpg

greasedandreadytogo_zpsb6e5b825.jpg

assemblyballanced_zpsf968b533.jpg

Cold Roller

Reaction score
Some of you know I built my own Stage 1 turbo a year ago and it ran very well on both stock injectors and 190/50s. I had intentions of building my own 2.5 or Stage 3 turbo, but I was still not sure of what turbine size I wanted to use, except it would need to be larger than stock or the turbo would not support the larger 67.8x94mm compressor wheel properly. Then along came Charlie (Peixinho) NOW KA KCTURBOS with his turbo. I was initially drawn to the simplicity of the insert he made for the compressor housing and the slightly larger, but higher flow turbine wheel.

It arrived in early December and I wasted little time giving it a spin, really!

The turbo came without a VGT, so I had to re-install my old one.

So how does it run? I can say without a doubt that this turbo met or exceeded all of my expectation for operation. :toast: It spools as fast as stock or my stage 1 did. There has been no surging or barking at all. Surprisingly, with the stock tune there is no smoke or haze with my 190/50s. With the Spartan Agg130 it was clean at WOT with slight hazing at the lower RPM under the turbo, less than my Stage 1 (my comparison to the old turbo result - this is the tune that used to give me the best mpg, empty or towing). There is a noticeable whistle at high idle and while driving at 1500-1800 RPM. The turbo and injector combination is pretty much smoke and haze free using any tune, even ones that are not the best for larger injectors. I have seen 40 psi boost on mid level and race tunes, including those from Wildman and Innovative. The race tunes showed lots of power, fairly low EGT (lower than what Charlie told me to expect), no smoke and no haze. However on one WOT run I saw vapour (white smoke at -25*C), coming out from under the truck. As it turns out, the degas was puking. It hasn't puked since, so I either have an impending problem or it was the cap malfunctioning. I have vacuum and pressure tested the system and it appears to be working correctly. I replaced the cap just so I can't blame it if it happens again.

The turbo definitely helps create more power, but traction was somewhat limited due to the cold temperature. I was a little surprised the wheels broke loose at 55 mph on a punch.

FWIW, I haven't seen a temperature over 1300..... yet

Charlie asked me to take it apart for some photos to ensure there were no problems. I was a bit hesitant since it is working so well. I did take it apart today and I can confirm that all the big parts are in great shape. There was one minor casting/turning flaw that I fixed while it was apart. Charlie did offer to send me another housing either now or later if required. I have been running it for 2 month in total a few weeks since the inspection.

11812324943_181e35427b.jpg

11812072725_a48201b9de.jpg

11812819136_e0e3b85ec9.jpg

Cruise at 65 mph
11812325783_31b30e7184.jpg

I would recommend it to anyone. It will probably work with a stock truck and a race tune, but this would be overkill. It is great for my 190/50s:rockon:

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Frank was a great tester (probably the best). I think he even shipped his core overnight to me from Canada... it got here very fast.

I wanted to thank Frank because he dataloged, tested many different tunes, tested the turbo in -30 degree weather, beat the heck out of his truck, and in the end he even pulled the turbo to make sure everything looked great. He thought I was a little crazy, but I asked every one of my testers to pull open the turbos after a good amount of beating just to make sure everything looked great! Frank was very honest in all his review and datalog emails to me and was very thorough!

Thanks Frank!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Here is another video of one of our turbos being run at Truck Source Diesel. Truck made 633hp on the dyno. It was running our KC 68mm stage 3 vgt turbo with unknown injectors... lol... we think they are 190-200cc injectors. They were supposed to be 225s but it was ran with a bunch of different turbos and tunes and it acts more like 190s It holds 4.7 volts ICP which is not usually possible possible with 225/100s... Also we did not expect the turbo to be able to clean it up 100% like it did.

KC 68mm stage 3 turbo, 190/100s???, and TSD tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdF5UiIq_s

Here is the same truck backing up the number at the track. The dyno numbers were dead on. This was not a really hard boosted launch. 13.0 @ 105.5 7900lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-SpZyjJBgo

Rob D

Reaction score
Charlie I saw that on Chris's facebook page. Clean running truck. I just wish someone nearby had a similar setup so I could really see first hand what DD mannerisms are like. I will not be upgrading turbo/injectors for a while but when I do these stage 3 68s with a 190-205 injector really seem like a marriage in heaven.

loboost

Reaction score
Here is another video of one of our turbos being run at Truck Source Diesel. Truck made 633hp on the dyno. It was running our KC 68mm stage 3 vgt turbo with unknown injectors... lol... we think they are 190-200cc injectors. They were supposed to be 225s but it was ran with a bunch of different turbos and tunes and it acts more like 190s It holds 4.7 volts ICP which is not usually possible possible with 225/100s... Also we did not expect the turbo to be able to clean it up 100% like it did.

KC 68mm stage 3 turbo, 190/100s???, and TSD tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdF5UiIq_s

Here is the same truck backing up the number at the track. The dyno numbers were dead on. This was not a really hard boosted launch. 13.0 @ 105.5 7900lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-SpZyjJBgo

Curious...who built the injectors? Pm me if you'd rather not say publicly

sent while driving recklessly

Rob D

Reaction score
Will do Mark - it won't be until this summer..need to get bank back up from the new purchase before start spending thousands again lol

05str6.0ker

Reaction score
The turbo came without a VGT, so I had to re-install my old one.

What made you swap in your vgt? Or did you just have to put it in? Im trying to understand more and more about turbos so i might be looking at what you said completely wrong. sorry for the stupid question trying to figure out as much as i can before i do my build. im wanting to go with either 175's or 190's. I appreciate all the help and i hope this isnt too much of a thread jack.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
What frank is talking about in that sentence is his vgt solenoid. At the time we did not have enough vgt solenoids in our cores. Frank knew his vgt solenoid was good so he just kept his solenoid and put it in the turbo. We only did that with a few testers. You should not have to worry about that beacause we don't sell the turbos that way.