Transmission help.

Lipka101

Reaction score
I just installed my trans with a suncoast rebuild kit and RCD converter and new ford pump. Everything seemed great right away but after a couple hundred miles it started to act up. Shifts great through all gears but randomly at idle, in gear it will stall. Like the converter is locking up. I checked and swapped the tcc solenoid with a known good one with no change. Also pulled the trans and swapped the pump with a known good pump as i was thinking it was a sticking torque converter control valve. Still nothing. The last thing I can think of is the converter itself is messed up. Am I on the right track? Is there anything else that could cause this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sootie

Reaction score
can you monitor it and see if lockup is being commanded?

Lipka101

Reaction score
Just called Precision about the converter, they seem pretty confident that nothing in the converter itself could cause this and it’s getting some kind of command to lock up.

sootie

Reaction score
my memory is slipping a little on the 5rs but is lock up a ground break circuit? If so, try running an additional ground cable to the case of the transmission.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
No, it is not. The PCM supplies a ground to the solenoid to lock the converter.

Low trans fluid will do this. So will an internal leak that bleeds off pressure from the converter.

Lipka101

Reaction score
Trans fluid level is good, I would think I would see another problem if I had a leak big enough to bleed off pressure from the converter circuit. I’ll check again which clutches are applied in gears 1-3 and double check line pressure.

Lipka101

Reaction score
I ended up swapping the solenoid body w/ solenoids and it seems to be working correctly. It either had a leak or the solenoid was sticking.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.