Derale trans pan

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
All that the larger pan will do for you is lighten your wallet. It isn't a cooler no matter what the seller says. It holds fluid.

Change your cooler for one from a 6.0L F-Series and you'll have all the cooling you'll need.

DieselDC

Reaction score
I have the derale pan. Holds an extra 7qts. Does it cool? No it does not. It however allows the oil to reach cooler temperatures and stay that way more consistently indirectly b/c of the extra fluid. More fluids the better. I’d recommend it. Don’t do this without first having a 6.0 or trucool cooler installed.

old man dave

Reaction score
BTS hates the things. He says the trans oil pump only moves so much fluid through the cooling system. The big coolers will give a bigger temperature drop to the fluid (delta T) and less fluid in the pan means fluid cools down faster.

However, the only application I've heard about where they worked is if you do a LOT of backing up with a heavy trailer where there is less air flow passing through the cooler. the larger fluid capacity takes longer to heat up, but also takes longer to cool down later, again because the trans fluid pump only moves so much fluid.

DieselDC

Reaction score
You are correct, my BTS doesn’t have a larger capacity pan but that doesn’t mean I won’t put one on there (maybe later). Engines with more fluid capacity are more durable. So I relate this to transmission lbs too naturally.

Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..

sootie

Reaction score
You are correct, my BTS doesn’t have a larger capacity pan but that doesn’t mean I won’t put one on there (maybe later). Engines with more fluid capacity are more durable. So I relate this to transmission lbs too naturally.

Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..

We aren't. That's why we say larger capacity pans are a waste of money...

Latest posts

Members online