Main cap walk/girdle ?

Redrock2000

Reaction score
Lubbock Texas by way of Detroit ( birthplace unfor
I was wondering at what point of hp or rpm have y'all actually seen main cap walk? Having built a few Ford big block gas engines I've saw main cap walk more associated with higher rpm and using even main studs increases main walk let alone a girdle doing anything but holding the broken parts together or at best absorbing harmonics. I know the differences in diesel and gas but Ive saw high compression 460 based 2 bolt main engines revving passed 6500 rpm on a regular basis making 800 hp or more with stock main bolts and 0 cap walk. The mains of a 7.3 block are twice what a 4 bolt big block are. Why the concern with cap walk with a 7.3 and at what point ? Thanks

Arisley

Reaction score
A high compression gas engine would be a pretty low compression diesel engine. Not even considering throwing in 60 lbs. of boost of so.

ja_cain

Reaction score
You kind of need to stop thinking about it in terms of horspower. Instead you need to look at torque as an adjunct to cylinder pressure. Torque is going to directly correlate to cylinder pressures. Where as hp is a function of both torque and rpm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Redrock2000

Reaction score
Lubbock Texas by way of Detroit ( birthplace unfor
fretting is not uncommon in diesel engines at stock power

That's something. How well do girdles prevent cap walk/fretting? My plan is to finish up my truck temporarily with a used forged engine while I build my original engine with Manley rods, block fill etc. My plan is to run 250/200 injector, either the up and coming KC s369 drop in or a T4 setup with a s467. And maybe some spray after while.

ford_trck

Reaction score
I can make mine walk with a 6 speed and I'm only 400 HP. 4 high 3rd gear off the redline will shear a rib off the serpentine belt every time.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Too bad you can't modify the block for splayed main caps. That along with some type of girdle qould probably be a pretty solid setup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

m j

Reaction score
personally, even though I bought a girdle, I dont think they do anything.
IMO the block fill does more to help then a girdle.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I’ll agree with that ^. Bedplate is far and beyond a girdle. Block fill for flex.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
For the record, I tow some and hadn’t had a problem yet with getting hot. But I don’t have a full fill. Just partial fill.

DocBar

Reaction score
I've been running a high hp build for about 8-9 years with a girdle in it. I had no issues at all with main walk with a girdle. A cracked oil cooler and a wrist pin keeper, along with poor mechanic work, are the things that killed my truck. 1st time I've ever heard of a wrist pin keeper coming out and fragging a cylinder.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Would have Swamp’s full circle wrist keeper pin helped in that situation?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.