hpfp failure, fuel system de-contamination kit, now what...

2mcclr

Reaction score
Hey guys, as the title may elude, I had a bad, bad week last week. Driving down the road, I started hearing a rattling noise I hadn't heard before, I immediately slowed down and turned off the road, maybe went 1/8th of a mile before there was a turn off I could pull into. Sometime between hearing the noise and getting off the road, the truck died. I tried to crank 3 or 4 times and it was pretty obvious to me the truck wasn't getting fuel. I had the truck towed to a local mechanic, though not a Ford tech, he is a very good mechanic who works on several local businesses fleet vehicles, most of which are 6.7s so he's very familiar with them. He diagnosed the failed fuel pump within about 10 minutes and got the ball rolling to replace it and I thought I was going to be without my truck for 3 days max and walk out of there with a $2000 bill max. No big deal. This is where things started to go to He!! faster than you could shake a stick at it. He got the pump replaced but could not get the truck to build rail pressure. He figured out I had 2 injectors stuck open and bypassing so we decided to go ahead and replace the injectors and also he took the pump apart and found a mess of metal in it. So now we're doing a full fuel system contamination kit. Unfortunately, Ford OEM injectors are on a nationwide back order so we're going to use Jasper injectors instead. Also in the process of removing the injectors, the #7 hold down bolt twisted off so if he can't get ahold of it with vice grips once he removes the valve cover, the heads are coming off to take to a machine shop to get the broken bolt out.

To get to the point of my post, is there anything I should be worried about as far as potential motor damage? If we have to pull the heads anyway I guess we could get a good look at the cylinders and answer that question. Also, what about the Jasper injectors? Any reason to be concerned that they're not OEM Ford? I absolutely love my truck but right now I'm scared to death of it. I'd like to keep it but a $7-8k repair bill sure rattles a guy. If I decide to keep it, is there any preventative maintenance we should do to help insure no more future problems while we have it tore apart? Thanks in advance and hope everyone enjoys their Memorial Day Weekend!

I also might add the truck has 112k on it and is d******.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Replacing just a pump after a fuel system failure is a red flag. That entire system is junk after that. Everything fuel touches needs to replaced or cleaned. Tank forward

co04cobra

Reaction score
What ctc said. The fact he only even tried a pump scares me. Because now you have a "new" trashed hpfp. I would NOT use the jasper injectors no matter what. Unless you send them out to someone else after purchase to be checked out. JMO

Latest posts