Dual Terminator HPOP low oil pressure issue

VegasFMF

Reaction score
Can’t remember exactly.. I believe I was installing a Melling LPOP, HPOP’s and turbo.
I just pulled the HPOP reservoir and it’s all clear.

Arisley

Reaction score
You need to use these whenever you plug something with a rag or a paper towel.
s-l1600.jpg

VegasFMF

Reaction score
lol... I really doubt I left anything in a port, I just don't want to rule it out. I think I have the plumbing to the HPOP spacer wrong. I think the IPR dump should be in the center port and the oil pressure sensor on the right.

IMG_2950.jpg

VegasFMF

Reaction score
Any ideas on what could be making the oil pressure low at the HPOP res and pressures at oil filter housing are good?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You could take the short circuit plug out and make sure oil is going through it.

VegasFMF

Reaction score
I just pulled the plug, got the spring out. I'm still trying to get the ball out. What should I do after I get it out? If there is something lodged in there I want to be able to get it out.

VegasFMF

Reaction score
Looking at this flow chart the short circuit valve looks like its the culprit. Number 2 is the value

Truck%20Oil%20flow.jpg

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Once you get the ball out, crank it over and see if oil comes out.

boggerr

Reaction score
Put it back together without that spacer and see how it runs.
IIRC above that temp sensor in the top cover is where I had my IPR dump so it’s possible you have them switched

uncool

Reaction score
Who's spacer is that?

Put the pressure sensor back in the top where it goes.

The center port should be in line with the factory IPR dump port. The right port should be just an extra hole that dumps to open space.

m j

Reaction score
the short cut for hpop feed is only for cold starts, other wise it gets fed from the same passage that feeds the bearings.
basically you may have killed that motor.
lets hope the misplaced sender is the issue

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I believe the short circuit plug allows oil to go to the hpo reservoir first, when oil pressure goes up enough then it feeds the rest of the engine.

VegasFMF

Reaction score
I pulled out the short circuit plug and cranked the motor.. oil was coming up. I put it back together without the ball and spring and ran it for about 30 seconds and I was getting good oil pressure, same as on the oil filter housing. I then put the ball and spring back in and took it for a drive, pressures are still not going over 35 psi and drops with rpm. There must be a blockage? What would be the best way to go after this.

m j

Reaction score
where exactly did you put the paper?
start there and then figure out where it could go.
is the filter plugged with it?
is the relief plugged?
it only gets worse from there.
is the main oil galley plugged?
are the main bearing feeds plugged?

again where did you put this paper?

jbolen323

Reaction score
this is very interesting. I too have issues with LPOP, while running or idling my dash light will drop to zero on oil pressure. As soon as i touch the pedal it spikes back to normal (7psi switch and acts like ZERO hiccups) Ive swapped switches, ive done everything to rule that out. I also used to fight hard rough lopey starts on and off, where my truck would start instantly then actually right afterward go into a rough low oil / aeration idle and then settle out shortly. It was completely sporadic and never consistent, my only thought is was the resi was getting drained since i do not have the riffraff spacer. Ive gone and checked all this stuff as well, have the diagrams everything checks out.

I have a brand new motor build that blew out the rear oil galley plugs shortly after abusing it to hell and back, which has me paranoid as hell now when i drive and let off the throttle just to watch my oil pressure gauge bounce up and down, which doesnt seem possible because the truck has ZERO hiccups when it happens, and if it did really drop to 0 psi... how is it running ?! I've also reverted back to a stock lpop vs a melling as a friend did prove to have issues with pressure compared to the two and actually deals with joey, the only way i was able to get ahold of him. All i do know is that i never had these issues on my last motor before i blew the rods apart, its annoying and everyone ive talked to is stumped. Glad to kinda sadly see someone else is having something a little similar.

just had my pumps sent out to joey actually almost six months ago, finally got them and they exploded less then five minutes into my truck again, but thats on a different note. Hopefully im not waiting another six months... my truck hates bieng on a used single hpop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online