5r110 compared to 5r110w

cadigan732

Reaction score
Can someone fill me in on the difference between the 6.0 5r110 and the 6.4 5r110w. And can u swap them between year trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lipka101

Reaction score
Can someone fill me in on the difference between the 6.0 5r110 and the 6.4 5r110w. And can u swap them between year trucks

Minor internal changes, I forget what all they changed but they are completely interchangeable from 03-10.
I believe there is a planetary gear set that they changed from a 4 pinion to 5 for some reason, the deeper pan with internal filter(job 2 08 and newer) , and the solenoid body in the 05 up is updated from the 03-04. The 6.4 has an 8 stud converter vs the 6 stud in the 6.0. There are some differences in the gasser trans too but it will work if you aren’t pushing any kind of hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cadigan732

Reaction score
Thanks it's going in a truck no hp increase

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
They are all called the 5R110W. That's what it has been right from the start in 2003.

In 2008 some of the internals were beefed up due to the increase in engine torque. The gear ratios changed very slightly, too.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Mark, do you happen to know the interchange as far as the 6 bolt and 8 bolt flex plates? Any reason, you know of, they can't be changed to match whichever converter you have?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Mark, do you happen to know the interchange as far as the 6 bolt and 8 bolt flex plates? Any reason, you know of, they can't be changed to match whichever converter you have?

Someone on here, think it was shmoozer or slcdzl, did it in a 6.0 with no issues. Search the 6.0 sections. Cant remember which section it was though.

LouHiddell

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here and I have a 2008 F-250 with the 6.4/ 5R110W combo. It's currently got a 5in turboback exhaust, KEM 345 tune, and S&B intake. The truck is at 167k miles and the transmission just went out on me and the rebuild is looking like it's going to cost around 4500 but I just came across this article saying remanufactured transmissions are just basically better than rebuilt https://mytransmission.cabanova.com/5r110w-transmission.html, is this just trash or is there something to it because there are more articles on it out there

ncollins64

Reaction score
Personally I don’t buy anything remanufactured. I’ve seen first hand how companies like jasper etc remanufacture and it’s a joke. Let a reputable shop rebuild it or buy a rebuilt trans from a well known shop like warren diesel, Midwest diesel and auto, mpd, etc etc. You will learn you pay for what you get and trying to cheap out will cost you.

sootie

Reaction score
Switch up the tuning or look forward to doing it again...

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I completely disagree with that article.

What would make it true is if they changed it to a comparison of a competent shop and an incompetent shop. Not all small shops are incompetent. Not all remanufacturers are competent.

Latest posts

Members online