Oil filter changes for extended intervals advice

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Those are some big words, but I think I got it. I’m running a big spin-on filter (FF) that has about twice the surface area of OEM according to specs. I assumed that would translate to twice the OEM FF interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessarily, im not a big fan of messing with oem full flow systems. But to be honest, i cant be liberal with my opinions at all. Im pretty regimented with my recommendations.
When you increase the filter size you have a pressure drop from a velocity change in the fluid. That can create cavitation. Its not a guarantee, but its a basic principle in tribology. We use that principle of fluid dynamics a lot to discover velocity changes. It creates a sound in the Ultrasound bandwidth.

Justinlw

Reaction score
Not necessarily, im not a big fan of messing with oem full flow systems. But to be honest, i cant be liberal with my opinions at all. Im pretty regimented with my recommendations.
When you increase the filter size you have a pressure drop from a velocity change in the fluid. That can create cavitation. Its not a guarantee, but its a basic principle in tribology. We use that principle of fluid dynamics a lot to discover velocity changes. It creates a sound in the Ultrasound bandwidth.

I guess I need to talk to Bulletproof Diesel. By relocating the oil cooler they’ve added capacity, changed the filter surface area, eliminated the filter bypass, and I’m sure introduced a ton of new harmonics.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I guess I need to talk to Bulletproof Diesel. By relocating the oil cooler they’ve added capacity, changed the filter surface area, eliminated the filter bypass, and I’m sure introduced a ton of new harmonics.

Im sure its not directly causing harm. But I don’t have the luxury of guessing with this stuff. And I don’t treat your truck any different than one of my gas turbines. Ive used inline coolers myself. But in retrospect, its just a bandage for the root cause failure. But, most of Thats esoteric and hypothetical. Ive never met anyone with a premature failure directly casual or correlated to that type if add on stuff. I don’t want to get you all worked up over Engineering principles.

Justinlw

Reaction score
Im sure its not directly causing harm. But I don’t have the luxury of guessing with this stuff. And I don’t treat your truck any different than one of my gas turbines. Ive used inline coolers myself. But in retrospect, its just a bandage for the root cause failure. But, most of Thats esoteric and hypothetical. Ive never met anyone with a premature failure directly casual or correlated to that type if add on stuff. I don’t want to get you all worked up over Engineering principles.

I hear you, and I’m not getting worked up. It’s been on there for about 100k with no problems. The biggest pressure drop in my system is the bypass filter circuit. Amsoil says the pump has the reserve capacity to handle it, I trust them and the liability they’re taking on with the kits they sell.

I’m a mechanical engineer with experience in electrical also. We do a lot of pressure vessel/materials testing and I’ve never claimed to have a grasp on fluid or thermal dynamics. Might as well be in Swahili.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I hear you, and I’m not getting worked up. It’s been on there for about 100k with no problems. The biggest pressure drop in my system is the bypass filter circuit. Amsoil says the pump has the reserve capacity to handle it, I trust them and the liability they’re taking on with the kits they sell.

I’m a mechanical engineer with experience in electrical also. We do a lot of pressure vessel/materials testing and I’ve never claimed to have a grasp on fluid or thermal dynamics. Might as well be in Swahili.

Lol, i love fluid dynamics. But thats why im so good at that stuff, my level if interest is very high.
I was transferring quinto FR fluid from a drum to a fireproof hydraulic sump two years ago. Temp was about 60f. I had made a 1” hose to a 3/4” stinger to go into the drum. The cavitation under very little vacuum was unbelievable. Just the small change in diameter under vacuum made 1/4 “ bubbles form out of the oil. The tube was clear and I could see it happening right in front of my eyes. I started taking it much more seriously after that. I inadvertently created a small science project lol.

psduser1

Reaction score
When you increase the filter size you have a pressure drop from a velocity change in the fluid. That can create cavitation. Its not a guarantee, but its a basic principle in *hydraulics*. We use that principle of fluid dynamics a lot to discover velocity changes. It creates a sound in the Ultrasound bandwidth.

Fixed!:poke:
Lol, i love fluid dynamics. But thats why im so good at that stuff, my level if interest is very high.
I was transferring quinto FR fluid from a drum to a fireproof hydraulic sump two years ago. Temp was about 60f. I had made a 1” hose to a 3/4” stinger to go into the drum. The cavitation under very little vacuum was unbelievable. Just the small change in diameter under vacuum made 1/4 “ bubbles form out of the oil. The tube was clear and I could see it happening right in front of my eyes. I started taking it much more seriously after that. I inadvertently created a small science project lol.

If only I could show this to some of the folks I work with, lol.

doo dah

Reaction score
Guys, I am running Jimbo's 8854 unicorn piss. Trying to go long on oil changes, filter changes and oil sample on 5k mile internals.

While driving a ******d truck is not exactly green,I do believe in not changing oil until it's time. I am not a tree hugger, just believe in waste not. I think 3k mile oil changes are wasteful. So I decided to run long oil change intervals with proper monitoring. Should end up cheaper in long run. However today was my first time changing the filter without draining the oil first. Starting my extended intervals. I probably am wearing one quart of oil and another is on the concrete just changing the filter. Wtf am I doing wrong? I heard of using a vacuum to pull oil into crankcase when draining, but this crap just kept coming. I have a fumoto valve to take sample, but didn't figure on the mess from filter changes. Any advice?

FWIW. I know Jim's LE is superior oil however sometimes I'm changing last minute and don't have a chance to order from him but I recently went 15,200 miles on Rotella T6 with a Motorcraft filter and Amsoil BP100 no filter changes in that period and the Amsoil filter already had around 45k miles on it's last change. Blackstone said I could go as far as 17.5k safely. I know Jim also doubts Blackstone testing (I would trust Jim over them but I had the BS sample container in hand, I'll use Jim next time) but I am impressed with the results and it makes me want to change to LE even more since it will likely hold up even better than the Rotella.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
FWIW. I know Jim's LE is superior oil however sometimes I'm changing last minute and don't have a chance to order from him but I recently went 15,200 miles on Rotella T6 with a Motorcraft filter and Amsoil BP100 no filter changes in that period and the Amsoil filter already had around 45k miles on it's last change. Blackstone said I could go as far as 17.5k safely. I know Jim also doubts Blackstone testing (I would trust Jim over them but I had the BS sample container in hand, I'll use Jim next time) but I am impressed with the results and it makes me want to change to LE even more since it will likely hold up even better than the Rotella.

Awesome!
Personally id be careful with T6 past 10k. The nitration starts to get out of hand and sludge builds up. The add pack just cant keep up. Thats the number one reason Amsoil pushes the nitration tests. It makes the majors look bad and they know it. Its also one of the reasons Amsoil and Schaffer’s use the same lab as I do. BS wasn’t getting the slates that helped their case. And even though I am suspicious if their motives, they aren’t wrong.

Justinlw

Reaction score
What lab should I be using for extended drains? I always heard BS was the one to use, but you guys take this way more seriously than I have. And what is tribology, anyway?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
What lab should I be using for extended drains? I always heard BS was the one to use, but you guys take this way more seriously than I have. And what is tribology, anyway?

I use a dozen different labs, but for this application Polaris Labs has generally been my choice. I sell their kits if you’re interested as a third party.
Tribology is the study of surfaces in relative motion, friction, wear, and Lubrication regimes. Its an under served in the Engineering educational system in the US. Auburn currently is the only university that has a tribo undergraduate degree. Most universities ME degree plans have a small focus in it, but its not very thorough. Auburns tribo Program is only a few years old, too. Germany alone has dozens of tribo programs. But, as ISO 55001 becomes more sought after and predictive and proactive maintenance is implemented, the need for more tribology focused engineers will have more universities release programs.

doo dah

Reaction score
Awesome!
Personally id be careful with T6 past 10k. The nitration starts to get out of hand and sludge builds up. The add pack just cant keep up. Thats the number one reason Amsoil pushes the nitration tests. It makes the majors look bad and they know it. Its also one of the reasons Amsoil and Schaffer’s use the same lab as I do. BS wasn’t getting the slates that helped their case. And even though I am suspicious if their motives, they aren’t wrong.

Thanks for the perspective, I'll plan ahead this time and not take the T6 past 10k. I'll pm you for some oil.

Justinlw

Reaction score
I use a dozen different labs, but for this application Polaris Labs has generally been my choice. I sell their kits if you’re interested as a third party.
Tribology is the study of surfaces in relative motion, friction, wear, and Lubrication regimes. Its an under served in the Engineering educational system in the US. Auburn currently is the only university that has a tribo undergraduate degree. Most universities ME degree plans have a small focus in it, but its not very thorough. Auburns tribo Program is only a few years old, too. Germany alone has dozens of tribo programs. But, as ISO 55001 becomes more sought after and predictive and proactive maintenance is implemented, the need for more tribology focused engineers will have more universities release programs.

ME from Cullen at UofH here, and I don’t even remember the word tribology from school. Tells you how much they cover it.

Can you send me info on the sample kits?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
ME from Cullen at UofH here, and I don’t even remember the word tribology from school. Tells you how much they cover it.

Can you send me info on the sample kits?

My mentor has two PHDs in chemistry and tribology from Harvard and another Ivy League school respectivel. He ran Mobils program for 30 years. Colleges all over the world have him do ME and CE graduate work with students. So he started doing surveys, and collecting data. He found that less than 2 hours is spent on it on average in undergrad programs in the US. Its his life mission to help change that. Theres a doctor that does research at MIT that’s also trying to change the culture. Dr Rabinowitz, I believe. Unfortunately, US manufacturing is behind. But, its a good thing for me. Lots of opportunity.

Latest posts

Members online