7.3 swap into a 2006 6.0l

Big&dirty

Reaction score
Ok guys need some help I can get a 7.3 L for next to nothing . I hate my 6.0 L the heads went again . So how hard is it to swap a 7.3 in to my truck . 2006 cclb xl ford f350 4x4 auto . Any help, suggestions, or thoughts would be welcome oh and a tranny swap is in my mind already too . Thanks

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The trans swap needs to be a reality, not just in your mind. The trans in the 2006 won't bolt to a 7.3L, and the computer that runs the 7.3L won't shift the trans you have now.

Big&dirty

Reaction score
Ok will do . There is a ford guru close to me see if I can grab some parts off him . Someone else has there name on my tranny already :)

co04cobra

Reaction score
I've done several. Very few things interchange. You can use either set of axles, and leave the 05 dash but you have to pull it to put the 7.3 harness behind it. You will need a 4r100 from a 7.3 or 7.3 zf6.

You could use the 6.0 I/C but its not really any better then the 7.3. Nut shell is strip ALL wiring from 6.0 truck then start bringing the 7.3 stuff over and bolting it up. Almost everything bolts up mainly time consuming.

Big&dirty

Reaction score
Glad I have a xl. Truck lol . Pretty much the cluster and then the hole engine. A Zf6 or a 4r100 hmmmmm. Zf6 would be easiest right ?

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
curiosity here but why not just fix your 6.0? i know the 7.3 live easier but by the time you swap all the stuff over and spemd the money to get it all it might have been less of a headache to just put studs and the needed stuff in your 6.0. just askin thats all

Big&dirty

Reaction score
I have studs . Lol I have spent over 12000 on the motor in two years . Sick of it . Just want something reliable is all

PatMan

Reaction score
Just curious - is this going to be a Street Legal truck?
Only reason I ask, is you may want to check with your Emissions testing stations.

A lot of places are not letting newer trucks with older engines now.
Especially since that was the reason that lead to the 6.0's coming out.

badhabits

Reaction score
hello all im new to the page ! im currently thinking of doing this swap so any info or pics would help !!

co04cobra

Reaction score
Just bring it to me. It will save you time and money in the long run :ford:

Latest posts

Members online