40-45 mph hop/vibration issue

ghohouston

Reaction score
If the rubber isn't coming out of the metal "housing" I'd say its probably alright. About how much play up and down is there? We don't usually replace them unless/until the rubber comes out of the housing, but we also have a fleet.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If the rubber isn't coming out of the metal "housing" I'd say its probably alright. About how much play up and down is there? We don't usually replace them unless/until the rubber comes out of the housing, but we also have a fleet.
Total movement? more then the one in my dually that has 168k miles on it.. it looks like it is resting on the bottom of the housing but I have never seen a carrier like this one. The front has a solid piece of rubber around the bearing and the rear doesn't have anything on it. at rest, it pretty much lays on the housing and I can push up on it and move it prolly more then an inch.

Been chasing a hop at 40-45mph and a bad vibration at highway speeds from 75-85 mph and goes away around 90 or so. My duratracs only have 8k miles or so on them and I have had them balanced 3 times in the last month to double check that the tires are not jacked up.. the truck has just shy of 29k miles total so thats why I wasnt sure if that carrier was actually messed up or if it's just how they are.

live life full throttle

sagebel

Reaction score
Just crawled under mine. 30000 miles and mine might be a little tighter but still has a decent amount if movement.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Total movement? more then the one in my dually that has 168k miles on it.. it looks like it is resting on the bottom of the housing but I have never seen a carrier like this one. The front has a solid piece of rubber around the bearing and the rear doesn't have anything on it. at rest, it pretty much lays on the housing and I can push up on it and move it prolly more then an inch.

Been chasing a hop at 40-45mph and a bad vibration at highway speeds from 75-85 mph and goes away around 90 or so. My duratracs only have 8k miles or so on them and I have had them balanced 3 times in the last month to double check that the tires are not jacked up.. the truck has just shy of 29k miles total so thats why I wasnt sure if that carrier was actually messed up or if it's just how they are.

live life full throttle

do you have any access to different wheels and tires to throw on a check it? I think thats your next step. Also take it for a drive around town and then get under it and feel the u-joints and make sure none of them are hot. I really doubt its that kind of issue right now anyway but its worth taking a look at

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
do you have any access to different wheels and tires to throw on a check it? I think thats your next step. Also take it for a drive around town and then get under it and feel the u-joints and make sure none of them are hot. I really doubt its that kind of issue right now anyway but its worth taking a look at

I dont have access to 4 rims and tires that would fit. I have the spare. If 16s would fit then I would have plenty to try. I checked ujoints yesterday while i was under it when I got back home from work. That was 40 miles of freeway driving. None where any warmer then the rest. I have never had a issue like this that there wasnt a sure sign of a issue. Thats why I thought it might be my carrier. I watched the tire shop balance all 4 tires and there wasnt any odd shaped tires or bulges and they all zeroed out with no problem.. The owner, that has been running that shop for 30yrs did it himself to make sure it was done right. With only 8k miles or so on them I wouldn't think they would be the issue either.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Wasnt the truck in there for wardanty work on the rear axle? Whatever they did is coming loose? Or is ***ked up....

Reaction score

live life full throttle

Not positive, but I remember reading before where someone was talking about the hop around 40-45 mph. But if I remember correctly it was mainly the 2011s. Had something to do with the spring load rate. Anyway my 2011 has had the hop around 45 ever since I bought it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Not positive, but I remember reading before where someone was talking about the hop around 40-45 mph. But if I remember correctly it was mainly the 2011s. Had something to do with the spring load rate. Anyway my 2011 has had the hop around 45 ever since I bought it.

Great.. its got a bad vibration on the freeway. this all just started a couple thousand miles ago.

live life full throttle

TripleE44

Reaction score
Mine has started doing this in the past month or 2 also. It only does it on the highway, and only on certain roads. On some its smooth as glass, and those roads are not necessarily the smoothest ones either.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Looks this up on the diesel stop. There is a huge thread over there about this very complaint. They finally started replacing entire drive lines for the vibration issue. Lengthy read.

Latest posts

Members online