boot lock/retainer thingamajig

13fist

Reaction score
I've been loving the 369sxe for about 9 months now but the boots just don't stay on. If roll on the power gently things stay together a little longer, but anything slightly aggressive and boom.
getting a bit unfun with the cleaning and re-clamping.
what I can't get my head around is the price tag on the few options I'm aware of like the bd boot lock, or traditional Wiggins setup.
So any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I'm running the bd boot lock coming off my hi pressure outlet. The price is hard to swallow, but a broken fiberglass hood wouldve been a lot harder to swallow... Dunno if they will work for you or not, but maybe try the bd boots/clamps? They work bad ass on the 6.0s, their clamps are nice as they will hold the torque from a 3/8 impact on them to really grab in the boot and make it hold. I am only running 2 non bd boots on my set up, and with big injectors I was holding 70-75 ish psi. The only boots ive had privlems with are the non bd ones so far. I am also only running 1 non bd clamp, on the inlet to the hi pressure.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

5 oh

Reaction score
What kind of clamps are you running? Hose clamps aren’t gonna cut it, I have regular band clamps with 3/8 nut that get tightened with a 3/8 impact. I have a 369 as well and never had a boot blow off.

13fist

Reaction score
I'm using good tbolt clamps, impact and all that. They can't get any tighter. going to try fresh boots and see.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
^^whs — clean very good and also make sure everything is in excellent alignment. I had pics of my simple tether setup but can’t find. They’ve been there for 10 yrs now.

13fist

Reaction score
I think I've got it figured out. Caught it mid way to letting go.
tbolt.jpg

It appears as that as the boot swells under pressure, it pushes the clamp off.
If everything hadn't been covered in a sheet of ice and misery, I'd have dug into it more. Both the boots and the clamps were thoroughly degreased and it still works it way off. It can be either side, just right now it's happening on the driverside.
Couple thoughts as I wait for fresh boots and clamps to arrive. The IDP Y-pipe is a fairly short radius, bridging across the valley, so I initially suspected out of roundness could be a likely contributor. It's also been mentioned to me that the billet plenums I have don't agree with T4's. Then I saw it mentioned on riffraff's site they have a new version that works better with T4 intakes, so that might be an actual thing. I didn't believe it until then.

Feel better that I've got a direction to work on sorting it out.

mandkole

Reaction score
Here’s the tether I’ve got going.. pic not the greatest but you get the idea. Seen 50+ and no issues

Attachments

• 15AB6EE5-03E3-4EB1-AABD-2FE42F316C0B.jpg
    15AB6EE5-03E3-4EB1-AABD-2FE42F316C0B.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 84

13fist

Reaction score
Yeah that is a good idea. I've been poking around the hardware isles trying to come up with something along those lines. I'm thinking for the Y I'll fab a bracket similar to what comes with the afe bladerunner thing. Either way, looks like I'll have to dust off the tig to put something on the tubes.
All the work I've put into her and haven't upgraded the boost gauge yet, Mine stops at 40.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Clean well, cheap ass hairspray the crap out of it, double t bolt clamp it! Add a tether afterward if still needed.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online