where do you buy stock??

gwunter

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm just a backyard machinist that gets an idea and likes to machine stuff. I got a few projects going on that require bigger pieces of stock. I deal mostly with aluminum. I guess I don't deal with huge stuff, but I'm talking stuff that is 12x12 and however thick.....give or take 6". It seems like my go to place to buy is.....e bay. I usually just find a seller and tell them what I want and they set me up a custom auction. What other avenues do you guys take to get your metal?? Local scrap yard typically doesn't have what I want.....cause it isn't big enough. If I need angle iron or rod I try scap yard first. I don't know if there's a lot of machining guys on here or not.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
We buy from Pennsylvania steel. Who basically is a wholesaler. If we need smaller pieces, as apposed to a sheet or a full length piece, there's a local weld shop that usually has what we are looking for. You may look around for a local weld/fab shop. Once you establish a relationship with them they usually will work with you pretty good.

Smaller aluminum pieces we have better luck with a local sheet metal shop. Before we started buying full sheets of it.

gwunter

Reaction score
Ok. I've heard of a few of those places. I'd rather not do e bay, but didn't know of any companies that would deal with the little man that only wanted random sized pieces.

gwunter

Reaction score
Bought a nice hunk of aluminum from online metals about a month ago. Custom rough cut size. Good shipping time as well, will use them again. Competitive price.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Bought a nice hunk of aluminum from online metals about a month ago. Custom rough cut size. Good shipping time as well, will use them again. Competitive price.

If you know the dimensions, then send them too me and I get my guy to quote me. Then I can estimate the shipping costs based on weight. Would love to get you a deal if its possible.

Justin

Latest posts

Members online