Engine coolant temperature gauge.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
On my white F250 that I used the coolant temperature gauge never got above the n in "normal". The truck that I have now always does. So is what my old truck did normal for these trucks and I need to start to looking to replace my thermostat or is my current truck still running in the ideal temperature range?

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I'm wondering because maybe with my current truck running warm it maybe what's causing my truck to go through injector harnesses. My old truck never had an injector harness problem but it also never ran hot.

79jasper

Reaction score
And what brand harnesses?
If it was getting hot enough to cause issues with those, you would have other signs. Like a seizing engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I have OEM on the left bank and dorman on the right I have probably driven a thousand miles or so with that combination and haven't had a problem until my truck started randomly missing again the other day

79jasper

Reaction score
Right, but look at it this way. Any cheap part is good, until it starts having repeat problems.
But which one is actually failing?
On another site, a guy is doing the same. But he went even cheaper than dorman. Harness fried, as well as it wasn't even wired right from the get go. He had to repin a few plugs. After it fried, he just order two more from different vendors....
“Insanity*is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” Einstein

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I'm gonna check the factory one to make sure it's still ok and replace the aftermarket one with a factory one that I have sitting in my toolbox waiting to be installed. I'm not doing the same thing over and over and expecting and expecting a different result. I'm just wondering if my truck is doing something that maybe causing my injection harness to fry especially if the left bank is the one that fried again.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
It is the left side with the OEM and every time I hit a bump it acts up so I was wondering if my motor running a little warm would over time break down the plastic and cause a bad connection.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I unplugged the entire left bank when it was acting up today and no change. Then I shut my engine off while they were unplugged and started it back and plugged the front 2 injectors back in it did its buzz test and I had 6 cylinders firing just fine. Then I plugged the back 2 back in and it did its buzz test then when the idm discovered there was a connection problem it shut the entire left bank down. I am almost certain the plastic on the inner injector harness on the back 2 cylinders is messed up

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I drive 77 miles to and from my girlfriends house every time I have a couple of days off which is twice a week. It never over heats but I'm wondering if its running warmer than it should normally.

superpsd

Reaction score
An IR thermometer is cheap. Get the sucker hot and take a reading at the coolant thermostat outlet. If it is running hotter start diagnosing the coolant system.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I'm gonna do 2 temp measurements one when its running a little warmer than what I have seen as normal (my experience with these trucks is very limited because I have only had one other obs 7.3) and then another measurement when its running as what I have seen as "normal"

old man dave

Reaction score
There are several thermostats available for the PSD. Stock is around 190/195, temp gauge reads on the N. Aftermarket 205 reads around the R and M on the temp gauge. There is a 180 degree one but I have never tried it. Previous owner could have changed the thermostat.

jschildm

Reaction score
I could be wrong on this, but I thought the 94.5 and maybe some 95s came with 203° international thermostat. Then at some point Ford switched to a 195° thermostat. The temp gage isn't really accurate, but in my experience (I have ran both thermostats) it does move further up the "normal" with the hotter thermostat. Your mileage may vary. Some say the 203° thermostat is what ought to be in all 7.3s. I personally can't see how keeping water cooler and thus oil cooler is a bad thing, other than maybe for heat in the winter.

Latest posts

Members online