Oil Consumption

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Ok, first off I have had the ccv vented to atmosphere for 10-15k miles now. I was tired of seeing the haze and smelling the fumes so I ran it to the exhaust, installed the pipe into the exhaust at an angle and cut the end of the pipe at an angle facing the exit of the exhaust. Did all that to help and hope to prevent pressurizing or putting a vacuum on my crankcase. I drove it hard empty a lot afterwards to make sure I wouldn't blow any seals or gaskets, or blow the dipstick out of the tube. Found no issue. Since then I've changed the oil and put almost 5k miles (4800 to be exact) and a lot of heavy towing and not being easy on it while doing that. I have watched the oil level and it has dropped slowly. Last night I found it right at the lower crosshatch mark. Added 1 quart and its at the top of range on the dipstick. So I have used 1 quart in 5k miles. Is this normal? I have 34800 miles on it now. Rotella T6 5w-40 since first oil change at 5k miles. Sorry for the rant and long post. Just a little concerned. Thanks!

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I do see a little bit of consumption on my end as well since I'm towing a lot too. probably around a litre of so every oil change....

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
I ran it unhooked for a day or so when first installed, no soot coming out of exhaust. The road draft hose going to the exhaust is dry. I'm wondering if it's just the nature of the beast and hoping its normal to loose a quart or so over 5k miles.

Notneb

Reaction score
I have mine routed almost to the tip so there's no worry of messing with crank case pressure/vacuum, and I notice about the same consumption. I know the rings are loose as hell so when you're not towing it has a lot of blow-by. Honestly a quart ever 5k isn't a big worry, that really isn't bad at all imo.

higherlife

Reaction score
I just put a fresh quart in the other day. I change the oil every 5k and its seems that around the 3-4K mark I notice it needing a top off to get to 5k. Ccv vented to atmosphere, not exhaust.

Notneb

Reaction score
Yup, loose rings, designed to expand while being worked hard, sadly that means oil consumption when it's not being worked. But like a few people have said: not a worry.

jcain

Reaction score
I get copious amounts of blow-by during casual street driving. So, I combat it with driving like my wife's going into labor and I'm rushing her to the hospital.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Ok, first off I have had the ccv vented to atmosphere for 10-15k miles now. I was tired of seeing the haze and smelling the fumes so I ran it to the exhaust, installed the pipe into the exhaust at an angle and cut the end of the pipe at an angle facing the exit of the exhaust. Did all that to help and hope to prevent pressurizing or putting a vacuum on my crankcase. I drove it hard empty a lot afterwards to make sure I wouldn't blow any seals or gaskets, or blow the dipstick out of the tube. Found no issue. Since then I've changed the oil and put almost 5k miles (4800 to be exact) and a lot of heavy towing and not being easy on it while doing that. I have watched the oil level and it has dropped slowly. Last night I found it right at the lower crosshatch mark. Added 1 quart and its at the top of range on the dipstick. So I have used 1 quart in 5k miles. Is this normal? I have 34800 miles on it now. Rotella T6 5w-40 since first oil change at 5k miles. Sorry for the rant and long post. Just a little concerned. Thanks!

Have any pictures or anything of how you did this?

Notneb

Reaction score
Have any pictures or anything of how you did this?

If you go to my threads, I have a write up in "My Build So Far", that routes it to the exhaust tip. Just beware, now that haze will come out the exhaust.

sootie

Reaction score
do it earlier in the exhaust so it dissipates by the time it gets to the tip. on my six four, i did it right under the passenger seat.

Latest posts

Members online