15' F450 high EGT's on highest tune?

samsquatch47

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm running a 15' F450 with a SCT Livewire and a custom tune.
The tune is from ********** and it's made to run with some parts removed if ya know what I mean.
Anyways, I run it on the highest tune (thinks it's +150HP?) and it works great. Until you hammer down to pass someone.
It only take a few seconds and the egt's spike to 1500+ degrees.
Is there a way to tell if the high egt's are caused by not enough boost or not enough fuel?
Are there any fueling or turbo upgrades available to help my problem?
I just let off and it never has hurt anything. Just would be nice to be able to hold it pinned for a little longer without the temps going sky high.
What do you guys consider a safe temp to hit temporarily at WOT?
The truck is running 5inch turbo back straight pipe exhaust and a S&B cold air.
Thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
1500 is nothing for a short period.

An upgraded turbo will lower peak egt's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

samsquatch47

Reaction score
Does anyone even make a turbo for the 15's? I don't want to lose the engine brake. I need it for towing in the mountains.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
is the s&b open or do you still have the lid on it?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

samsquatch47

Reaction score
I don't see much of a gain in a different intake to be honest. There's dick all for restriction in the S&B. Lid on or off its the same. It's just a straight pipe with a big airfilter.
What's so amazing on that nolimit intake? Not to bash your stuff but I don't buy parts to just buy parts. There's no baffles, no hard tight corners on the S&B.
I'm all up for a turbo upgrade I'll check out the link for sure.

samsquatch47

Reaction score

samsquatch47

Reaction score
If your turbos are based on ford units couldn't I buy the internals and have it swapped into my stock one?
Or are the housings modded or based on a different turbo then the 15's?

JRLott

Reaction score
1. Look into the data and dyno results of the NL2 before running your mouth. You asked a question. It was answered. Being an asshat will limit your future assistance and horsepower happiness.
2. TowmaxR was suggested by a very knowledgeable individual for your application. It'll spool faster for towing and provide more air than you have at present.
3. The StreetmaxR is another alternative and will support more than your current HPFP will support. However, the suggestion is probably better if you come anywhere near needing a 450.
4. The barder is very capable, but way overkill unless you add fuel...a lot of fuel...and injectors.

Last edited:

samsquatch47

Reaction score
1. Look into the data and dyno results of the NL2 before running your mouth. You asked a question. It was answered. Being an asshat will limit your future assistance and horsepower happiness.
2. TowmaxR was suggested by a very knowledgeable individual for your application. It'll spool faster for towing and provide more air than you have at present.
3. The StreetmaxR is another alternative and will support more than your current HPFP will support. However, the suggestion is probably better if you come anywhere near needing a 450.
4. The barder is very capable, but way overkill unless you add fuel...a lot of fuel...and injectors.

Haha hey man no worries!
There wasn't any data or Dyno results posted for me to observe. I just looked at the NoLimit intake on the website and I installed my own S&B and there isn't really much of a restriction at all in it.
Do you have links to the dyno and data for the no limit intake?
Has anyone done back to back tests comparing the S&B intake to the No-Limit and actually noticed lower EGT's?
I didn't mean to sound rude at all. There's just a lot of people who sell parts out there with no real claims other then their word so I'm skeptical that's all.
I work hard for my money, as I'm sure you do and don't just buy parts because someone says it's the next best thing. I like proof that's all.
Sorry I'm behind on my diesel acronyms what's HPFP?

I have no doubt the person suggestion the turbo is very knowledgable but the turbos description said its only good for a smaller Hp gain then I'm already running my chip at.

Yes when I hook up my 45ft tri-axle trailer fuel of Jet Fuel for our aerial application business I am very much needing the F450's weight capabilities.
Right now I don't notice any lack of spool time with my stock turbo. I really have no complaints other then the high EGT's.

If I upgrade to the street maxR or the barder what other upgrades are needed?
If I'm going to spend the money I'd rather by the best then just be done, instead of upgrading later again.

I appreciate your input and apologize if I came across rudely.
It's hard to read tone in a written message.
Cheers
Dustin

JRLott

Reaction score
Gotcha. Have a look here. Stock, AFE, NL2. The AFE apparently makes more power than the S&B, so while not a direct comparison, it is relevant.

Your concern is high EGT. More air will help. Higher flowing intake coupled with a turbo that moves more air will help you out.

HPFP-High pressure fuel pump. This is what feeds your injectors.

I actually mistyped the reference to spool time. I was thinking faster spool of the TowmaxR vs the StreetmaxR. My fvck up there. Sorry.

Im 99% sure the 30-50 hp gain means max capability over the '15 turbo. I.E. '15 turbo is capable of producing 525 hp to the wheels on hottest tune available. TowmaxR should be 555-575 to the wheels on hottest tune available. (Fabricated numbers, so don't take them as gospel.)

The StreetmaxR and Barder will perform very similarly with a factory HPFP, as the ability to deliver fuel becomes the limiting factor. The Barder would simply cost you a lot of money with likely slightly worse results down low than the StreetmaxR, especially pulling. To fully realize the capabilities of either, you'll need dual HPFPs. For the Barder you'd need to add bigger injectors as well. Then you'd be on the edge of creating serious friggin carnage out of your rotating assembly. However, it'd be a hellaciously fun F450 while it lived at roughly 750 HP.

Towing that heavy regularly, I'd stick with the TowmaxR and a towing tune. It'll be more responsive and safe than a hot tune and your factory turbo.

The absolute cheapest thing to do would be to run a less aggressive tune. I run IDP and it'll hit a bit over 1500 when standing on it to pass, or playing on the race tune. I'm guessing you have Ghead/Alberta tunes? Put a space in the name or replace a letter with a ch@rac+3r.

Last edited:

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
There is no benefit for you to do a Barder 6670 on your truck. For what you are doing,and towing, the StreetMaxR would be the ideal large turbo for you. It wont make any less power than the 6670R, and the StreetMaxR will spool faster.

Apples to Apples, the Barder is more lax, and in my opinion, having one on a built motor truck, is not ideal for someone doing what you are.

I just put a motor in a truck from Mississippi with stock fuel on a 15 and a 6670, running the hell out of it all the time it came apart. Is that common? Not at all. But play it safe, keep your driveability, and enjoy your truck.

You wont max out the StreetMaxR doing what you are. No need to go any bigger and lose drivability

JRLott

Reaction score
That's what I was miserably failing at trying to say...however, I did learn something too...the StreetmaxR is even more versatile than I had previously thought. Thanks, Jared.

Last edited:

samsquatch47

Reaction score
Awesome! I very much appreciate the info! Thanks so much guys. The streetmaxR seems to be the right fit. I'm Running Ino vatives tunes.

Latest posts

Members online