Dump/Flatbed with a gooseneck hitch

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
So I have a F-450 that I am putting together that I would like to setup as a flatbed/dump bed by using removable sides. I also would like the ability to tow a gooseneck trailer with it.

Here is my thought process. I am going to be mounting it on a 05 F-450 CC chassis. I will build a heavy duty flatbed with a fixed front bulkhead. Set it up with short metal sides that are removable for when I want just a flatbed. Also will set it up with a tailgate style rear to give me some extra reach when dumping since the bed will have to be kept short to allow for towing the gooseneck.

I will be using a scissor lift that actually came off of a International 4600 so not worried about lift capacity. I plan to mount it backwards, i.e. the hinge towards the cab. This should give me the clearance i need to mount a gooseneck to the frame just behind where the scissor will mount to the frame. I will then build a trap door into the floor of the body to allow me to flip it open and hook up the gooseneck. I will probably have to build it up some to get it close flush with the bed floor. I also plan to use a ball that can be flipped over. Save me from having to aim for a ball that is below the bed floor.

Thoughts? Really the only thing I am unsure about is mounting the scissor lift backwards. I can not come up with any reason why it shouldn't work, but figured I would get a few other opinions.

Fire away!!

Latest posts

Members online