Oil temps

jimmystoys

Reaction score
Hi guys. Have a '12 ******* with S******. Happy with it. Been towing lots this summer. One thing I'm thinking of changing is something to bring down my oil temps. Easily hit 250F on some of my climbs. It does cool down relatively quickly when I ease up on it, unlike my 6.0L in the past, so thats sweet but its slowing me down when I reach those numbers. I know the 6.7's run hotter. I just don't want to kill the motor. You guys have any advice or similiar experiences? Would an oil cooler be of any help? What would you guys do? Thx. :evil

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Pretty common, my expert opinion is the oil cooler isn't large enough on these. My 17 with 2500 miles on it hit 218 unloaded with the OEM fill oil on the first hot day here in Michigan first day I had my ezlynk to monitor it. I was pissed being an oil guy. But since then I've seen it from a lot of people loaded towing.
One thing to keep in mind is the oxidative life of the oil is cut in half for every 10 degrees C increase in temp. So if you do it often you'd want to shorten your oil change interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmystoys

Reaction score
Pretty common, my expert opinion is the oil cooler isn't large enough on these. My 17 with 2500 miles on it hit 218 unloaded with the OEM fill oil on the first hot day here in Michigan first day I had my ezlynk to monitor it. I was pissed being an oil guy. But since then I've seen it from a lot of people loaded towing.
One thing to keep in mind is the oxidative life of the oil is cut in half for every 10 degrees C increase in temp. So if you do it often you'd want to shorten your oil change interval.

What do you think of synthetic oil jimdawg185?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
What do you think of synthetic oil jimdawg185?

Synthetic is a term that doesn't mean a lot. Mobil sued Castrol in the late 90s over the definition and Castrol won, which means it doesn't mean anything. In general the majors Synthetics are better than their "conventional". But I have a mineral based product that whoops any "Synthetics" ass. It's long chemistry lesson that I'm very willing to explain over the phone anytime you are having trouble sleeping lol.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Synthetic is a term that doesn't mean a lot. Mobil sued Castrol in the late 90s over the definition and Castrol won, which means it doesn't mean anything. In general the majors Synthetics are better than their "conventional". But I have a mineral based product that whoops any "Synthetics" ass. It's long chemistry lesson that I'm very willing to explain over the phone anytime you are having trouble sleeping lol.

this guy! yes please call jim seriously! I have drank the koolaid and am a believer, le additive package last much longer than over the counter oil

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Well... sounds interesting. Could you enlighten me a bit?

It's a very long and technical explanation, but the majors use very mediocre base oils for their mineral base stocks, and decent oils for their Synthetics. But, the add packs are mediocre in their Synthetics. Us, and a few other high performance oil companies, use the highest quality of both. Specifically a high mag balanced Cal add pack with infiniums highest grade ZDDP. If You peek at Mobil 1 you will see lessZDDP than T6, but it's a higher quality pack. So you end up with the similar performance aspect. We use as much as allowed of the highest quality available pack. This gives the oil a large bandwidth for abuse. Mineral group 3 base oils carry add packs better than PAO Synthetics. So, our 8800 is just balanced better than any majors synthetic. Our synthetic actually uses our high quality mineral as a carrier stock in the PAO synthetic. We also have Monolec with does a variety of things to tribo parts. Helps increase natural film strength over putting a **** load of polymers into an oil to increase VI. It coats and keeps parts clean, ect etc.

Last edited:

jimmystoys

Reaction score
Wow, didn't think it was that complicated lol. Way over my head. Always thought there was oil, then good oil, then synthetic. Don't want to make it sound unimportant but I'm sure most of us don't understand the abbreviations and certifications of all the necessary ingredients. Maybe you should start a thread on this and educate some of us that are interested lubricants? Anybody else?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Wow, didn't think it was that complicated lol. Way over my head. Always thought there was oil, then good oil, then synthetic. Don't want to make it sound unimportant but I'm sure most of us don't understand the abbreviations and certifications of all the necessary ingredients. Maybe you should start a thread on this and educate some of us that are interested lubricants? Anybody else?

There's a few in my section. I'm a sponsor. But I talk to all my customers on the phone and go into as much depth as they want.

It's far more complicated than you could possibly imagine my friend.

COF350

Reaction score
My 15 with GH SOTF tunes will hit 240 pretty quick pulling camper on tow tune. That's without really working it, thing is it never really climbs over 242-245 when really working it up in the CO mountains. I don't worry too much about it, I run fully synthetic 5w40 Delo and most synthetics are good to 300+degrees far as I know. I agree with previous poster that oil coolers on these are not nearly large enough for people who actually work them towing...I may start looking for an upgrade.

I have a cummins 15 L and a Cat 15 L in two different big rigs and it's a different world, we never see over 220 ish on oil temp pulling 90k lbs...but those motors are made for a high load for long periods of time.

Last edited:

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
My 15 with GH SOTF tunes will hit 240 pretty quick pulling camper on tow tune. That's without really working it, thing is it never really climbs over 242-245 when really working it up in the CO mountains. I don't worry too much about it, I run fully synthetic 5w40 Delo and most synthetics are good to 300+degrees far as I know. I agree with previous poster that oil coolers on these are not nearly large enough for people who actually work them towing...I may start looking for an upgrade.

I have a cummins 15 L and a Cat 15 L in two different big rigs and it's a different world, we never see over 220 ish on oil temp pulling 90k lbs...but those motors are made for a high load for long periods of time.

I wonder if something is wrong? I pull 16k at 65mph and i have never gotten over a 210 oil tempature. This has been multiple times in 90+ degree heat. Also a 15 running GH sotf tunes. Idk?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

gotchadollar

Reaction score
I pull 15k 5th wheel, over the sisters in Wyoming and I easily hit 245* on oil temp, I'm going to be putting a remote oil cooler in soon.

COF350

Reaction score
I wonder if something is wrong? I pull 16k at 65mph and i have never gotten over a 210 oil tempature. This has been multiple times in 90+ degree heat. Also a 15 running GH sotf tunes. Idk?

Now I'm worried lol, thanks a lot!

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Just different than what i see when i tow. However others see the same tempatures as you. Are you fully deweted on the egr? Does the oil cooling system run through the secondary coolant system?

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
I have a 15 and pulling my fifthwheel it can get toasty 230ish but it recovers fast. There have been many threads about this and I have yet to hear of anyone burning one down.

COF350

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Just different than what i see when i tow. However others see the same tempatures as you. Are you fully deweted on the egr? Does the oil cooling system run through the secondary coolant system?

I just have the block off kit.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I have a 15 and pulling my fifthwheel it can get toasty 230ish but it recovers fast. There have been many threads about this and I have yet to hear of anyone burning one down.

I think unless you're using a really ****ty oil it's more a long term concern.

jimmystoys

Reaction score

I know MPD has oil cooler relocation kits. Don't know if anyones installed one yet. Anybody out there try one? Be nice to know how well they work.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
I might consider synthetic change first. Then see if that does anything for me. jimdawg185 you have any suggestions on a good quality natural oil/brand that you would consider?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.