Leveling vs Lift Questions

TX-Platinum

Reaction score
I've spent a few hours researching, but it seems like I keep coming up with more questions than answers. There's just too many package options to wrap my head around. I'm hoping that maybe you guys can help me shed some light on it all. The end goal is to fit 37's on my 2016 Platinum wheels with minimal fuss. I'd like to have a nicer ride than stock, but I don't know if I need all the added options I keep seeing on the sites. I'm not entering any beauty contests.

First, for the front, I'd like to see if I can afford to NOT use spacers and go with a full replacement coil/shock setup to accomplish the lift. 2.5" to 4" is the range I'm looking at. The problem here is when I see 4" lifts, they come with a lot more parts, which bumps the cost. Do I need to stick with 2.5" to keep the cost down?

For the rear, I don't mind blocks. I measured the stock blocks to be about 3.5" tall. My question here is if I go as high as a 4" lift in the front, will rear blocks not be enough for the back? And will I need to purchase new rear shocks to make up for any additional lift back there?

Do you have any recommendations for both ends of the truck? It looked like all the kits I saw either had spacers, had too many flashy options, or didn't have all the parts in one package that fit my needs.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
carli 2.5" leveling kit will achieve what you want. 37s will rub on your radius arms at full lock if they are on stock wheels. You will need a 5" block in the rear.

TX-Platinum

Reaction score
carli 2.5" leveling kit will achieve what you want. 37s will rub on your radius arms at full lock if they are on stock wheels. You will need a 5" block in the rear.

Thanks for the reply! Carli is one of the kits I was looking at. After reading around here, I didn't know if I should go with the base kit since it has Bilsteins and everyone recommends the Fox.

It looks to me like the "Commuter" kit comes with all 4 Fox over just the 2 front Bilsteins. In addition, you get longer brake lines over just relocation brackets. Otherwise, same lift. Correct?

Do the (4) Fox shocks vs (2) Bilsteins justify the $700 price difference?

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Carli is one of the kits I was looking at. After reading around here, I didn't know if I should go with the base kit since it has Bilsteins and everyone recommends the Fox.

It looks to me like the "Commuter" kit comes with all 4 Fox over just the 2 front Bilsteins. In addition, you get longer brake lines over just relocation brackets. Otherwise, same lift. Correct?

Do the (4) Fox shocks vs (2) Bilsteins justify the $700 price

Correct

They don't sell bilstein anymore I don't believe. Their custom valved foxes are UNbelievable. Matched to the spring rate makes a ride that is hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
Carli has my vote. I've had Icon and Carli kits and they both ride awesome. I've saving money for another Carli in the future

TX-Platinum

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input. I'm still a little unsure about which Carli kit (lift size) to get, but I now feel MUCH better knowing that any of the Carli kits are the way to go. I really like how a lot of the components are shared, and if I want to upgrade, I can just add to it later. I think I'm going to get the 2.5" Commuter kit to start with Toyo R/T's and see how I like it.

LAStroke

Reaction score
I had 2.5" icon kit with level one shocks. Just upgraded to Carli 2.5" coils, fox 2.0 resi and full rear leaf springs. Night and day difference, wish I would have gone with this setup in the beginning.

Swampfox

Reaction score
I've spent a few hours researching, but it seems like I keep coming up with more questions than answers. There's just too many package options to wrap my head around. I'm hoping that maybe you guys can help me shed some light on it all. The end goal is to fit 37's on my 2016 Platinum wheels with minimal fuss. I'd like to have a nicer ride than stock, but I don't know if I need all the added options I keep seeing on the sites. I'm not entering any beauty contests.

First, for the front, I'd like to see if I can afford to NOT use spacers and go with a full replacement coil/shock setup to accomplish the lift. 2.5" to 4" is the range I'm looking at. The problem here is when I see 4" lifts, they come with a lot more parts, which bumps the cost. Do I need to stick with 2.5" to keep the cost down?

For the rear, I don't mind blocks. I measured the stock blocks to be about 3.5" tall. My question here is if I go as high as a 4" lift in the front, will rear blocks not be enough for the back? And will I need to purchase new rear shocks to make up for any additional lift back there?

Do you have any recommendations for both ends of the truck? It looked like all the kits I saw either had spacers, had too many flashy options, or didn't have all the parts in one package that fit my needs.

If you have the the taller blocks already a carli 2.5" leveling kit would work for you without having to change anything in the rear besides shocks. You could go up to a taller block if you don't want it level. If you tow heavy it will more than likely squat some with those blocks and stock rear springs. I have had the 2.5" carli commuter leveling kit and now the 4.5" carli back country with the add-a-packs and basically the same block you have. People say you can clear 37's on stock wheels with the 2.5" but I'm not buying that without having to do some trimming. After having both kits the 4.5" rides better IMO.

2.5" lift with f-350 size blocks and stock tires/wheels
AAB3E90A-207E-4A96-9A38-5CC1192F8BB8_zpssqifa5cr.png

4.5" lift with 325/50's on 22x10's and same blocks with add-a-packs
38438207076_9f5fda1f54_z.jpg

Latest posts

Members online