Sputter after EGR delete

6speedsd

Reaction score
I heard all the guys with the knowledge are here now, so here am I with questions!

Just finished up with EGR delete and new oil cooler. Got it all back together last night. Tried to crank it this afternoon. Turned the key and it fired and died. Turned it over for about 30 seconds and it fired up. Missed a little at first but cleared up. Let it idle for about 20 minutes to get good and warm. It idles pretty smooth, but rev it up and it starts to miss/sputter. I heard it would do this for a bit and clear up. My question is about how long should it take to clear up before I start wondering if something is wrong? Also is it better to drive it til it clears, or let it idle?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
After my head studs, it took me about 25 miles on the highway to work ALL the air outta the system. After it cleared up I haven't had any problems.

6speedsd

Reaction score
So will it just all of a sudden clear up, or will it be gradual?

Noticed a small puddle of oil under the truck this evening. haven't had a chance to investigate but will in the morning. Hoping its just some of what came out from under the cooler still running down off everything. My driveway where I worked on it is sloped pretty good, and when I lifted the oil cooler that oil ran down everything clear to the back of the trans. hopefully that's all it is. Hopefully!

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
It was gradual for me. Like I said, 25 miles before ALL the air was out. That was highway too. Several times I thought it had cleared up and then when I'd roll into the throttle, it would spit and miss. Then it evened out and all was good.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I do, but I'm not running it right now. Its set to stock.

Ran it about 40 miles today so far. Still hasn't cleared up. Does seem a little better, but still sputters under load, and just slightly at idle. Builds good boost, has good oil pressure. I'm going to check my injector harnesses once it cools off just to make sure they are connected well.

6speedsd

Reaction score
No check engine light. Had to send my X3 back to SCT because it was locked in reboot mode, so I cant plug it in and check for anything. Won't have it back for another week or so. I figure if it was anything major wrong it would run a lot worse than it does. It still has power, builds boost, etc, so surely it can't be anything other than just air in the system.

Should I be running it nonstop until it clears up, or just driving when I can do the same? I guess if need be I can just hit the road and drive as long as it takes.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd run down to the local auto parts store that has a scan tool and have the kid behind the counter check for codes. I would think that the air would've worked out by now. Have you been givin' it hell from time to time? Have you noticed any improvement at all?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd run down to the local auto parts store that has a scan tool and have the kid behind the counter check for codes. I would think that the air would've worked out by now. Have you been givin' it hell from time to time? Have you noticed any improvement at all?

:whs: B/c your x3 isn't going to diagnose it for **** anyway. Ive unplugged injectors and such and its never thrown a code that the X3 could read.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Got it figured out. One of my injector plugs wasn't seated well. Fixed that, and now she runs like a champ.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions!

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Glad you got her runnin' like she should. As annoying as something like that (a plug not all the way seated), it still beats the hell outta it being something costly and even more time consuming. I do wonder why you didn't get a CEL for an injector code. Oh well, as long as it fixed.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Like i stated as well i unplugged alot of crap on my 04 to try and fire a light or code and got nothing.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yea that surprised me too. That's partly why I didn't think of checking it at first since I didn't get a light. When I went around checking this plugs, the first one I grabbed just popped off the connector. Of course it was the one right behind the alternator, so it's not the easiest to get to. I will admit it feels good to do that type of repair on my own, considering that's the first time I've torn into a diesel. Saved myself a ton of cash too! $500 in parts and a lot of sweat(was 100 degrees all last week!) sure beats a $1500 bill to let someone else so it.

Now if SCT would hurry up and get my X3 back to me so I can start enjoying her again. I forgot how slow she is in stock form!

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
It is amazing how slow they feel back on the stock program. I programmed mine back to stock the other day and ran up to the store, it was horrible. Still quicker than 99% of the ricers though.

Latest posts

Members online