Stiction Again

worldwide73

Reaction score
Ok so I've been searching, asking and talking to people about this.

Warm the truck runs great, couldn't ask for better.

"cold" starts are hit or miss.

And before we get started I've check the ficm voltage we are good there, have good fuel pressure, bypass oil filters, clean oil, all filters clean etc.

Cold start today=90* oil temp. ICP KOEO .2v, cranking went almost to 2v and 1250or so psi. Thats when it starts like crap, almost like it "rolls" over. The other day I started it and it died. When the psi gets so high it doesn't like it for sure. But started right back up.

Warm starts we are good. ICP KOEO .2v cranking to maybe 1v and psi to 600-800 fires right up.

Moving after a "cold" start today. When ever the ICP got over 2.2v and 1400 psi at 2100-2500rpm the truck starts to "miss" out = which is what i refer to as stiction. Keep it under 1800rpm or icpv under 1.9 its fine until warm.

Warm moving fine. Idle at about 600psi, at 75mph 1400psi. Nothing is erratic or fluctuates a bunch either hot or cold.

Oh yea currently I'm using valvoline premiun blue 15w40, and have used T6 with the same symptoms.

I have not preformed a contribution test as I don't have problems when warm or any other issues.

I believe that this is stiction, although I'm not sure why the icp psi get so high when starting, that seems to be the direct correlation between crappy starts. Hopefully this post may help someone with the same systems or build a better post.

So does high ICP psi on starting mean sticky injectors? Probably...

worldwide73

Reaction score
Same thing today, let it sit for a full day, crank ICP presure goes to 1250-1300 and it tries(one chug) to start but instantly dies. Shut off try again starts fine.

5w40 syn does same thing. Thinking about trying to go with 10w30

I don't understand why the pressure goes so high. Probably because the oil is "cold" but I thought it would limit pressure, or is that what it is doing to keep from hurting something else?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
What is the chance the ICP sensor itself is acting up and causing the computer to do weird stuff? I also read somewhere recently that for whatever reason a lot a people were claiming the Shaeffers oil will enhance stiction. You've tried Rev-X before havn't you?

Sniper32

Reaction score
with a miss in the middle of your RPMs id think injector...I just had a stiction issue in the low RPMs and rev-x cleared me right up...could give that a try, but with it missing in the middle it seems like an injector issue more

worldwide73

Reaction score
Could be I datalogged my ICP demand vs supplied and they were right in line. I had Rev-x in once, but I also had the crappy shaeffers in at the same time... Need to order again I guess.

Atsah

Reaction score
Power balance your injectors when the truck is cold.. My guess is you have at least one that needs attention..

worldwide73

Reaction score
Yea I need to AE to do that or take to my buddies when I have time. Only sucks when "cold" other than that it runs great.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Your runnin' the Valvoline blue right now, so I'd try some HSS or Rev-X and see if that helps. Leave it in for a few thousand miles and see if it helps.

Sniper32

Reaction score
Could be I datalogged my ICP demand vs supplied and they were right in line. I had Rev-x in once, but I also had the crappy shaeffers in at the same time... Need to order again I guess.

Yea i just recently cured my stiction from schaeffers with rev x. That chit rocks!

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
with a miss in the middle of your RPMs id think injector...I just had a stiction issue in the low RPMs and rev-x cleared me right up...could give that a try, but with it missing in the middle it seems like an injector issue more
:whs:
Rex-X cured a mid to high RPM miss on my truck.

I say dose it. If it doesn't work, you're only out $80 bucks. If it does work, you just saved yourself a bunch of $$$ on injector work.

worldwide73

Reaction score
Ordered Rev-x Again and we'll see what happens this time with some better oil in my system.

Heres a video and yes I know its sideways for some reason, so rotate your monitor. Check out the ICP pressure.

http://youtu.be/sVjWqZbFKGI

worldwide73

Reaction score
On the Insight are Injection pulse width in the middle and ICP pressure, and ICP Volts on the bottom.

worldwide73

Reaction score
REV-x added about 500miles on it. Will start first try now without having to do a second restart. Oil temps also got down to 70 degrees and started like it used it before shaeffers. Hopefully i'm on the road to stickless.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I just saw another thread where a guy was complaining about Shaeffers intensifying his stiction issues. Seems like that particular brand of oil just is not compatible with the 6.0's.

chappy

Reaction score
Well I just switched to shaeffer 7000 and my 6.0 runs better then ever. I DID NOT have stiction issues though so maybe once you have stiction it will just make it worse. I did have a problem with romping and hard cold starts with shaeffer in the 7.3 once I installed the adrenaline. It was explained to me by Bill at php and Bob at dieselsite but I can't remember exactly why they said it did it but I think its the same principle here. I know the shaeffer increased 3 different trucks oil psi cold compared to others. The oil pressure increased by 10 in my 7.3,buddys duramax,and a 302 gt40 crate engine. I'm gonna have to talk to the shaeffer rep next time and see what his ideas are on this.

Latest posts

Members online