headgaskets gone BAD!

STROKER

Reaction score
alright so trucks been puking coolant out the degas for a while so i decided i was gonna do gaskets and put bigger injectors in it while i was at it. so i got it apart took the heads to get machined found out both off them had cracks so i bought 2 new heads. got the truck back together tonight. took forever to start it (lot longer than normal had the oil injectors out before) when it finally fired it sounded goofy almost like a thumping sound coming from the intake, i drove it for maybe a quarter mile and it wouldnt build any boost. i parked it and shut it down when i went to start it again it took a good 8sec for it to start(losing HPO somehow) it also cranked real fast like a compression leak:confused: decent amount of blowby too, and a oil leak. the only code it threw was a p0113(IAT high). i dont know if any of these could have anything to do with having brand new heads and valves or what. also it has tunes in it from when i had 225s now its running 285s hybrids.
it came together pretty easy i thought i did everything right but obviously somethings wrong:mad:

Reaction score
6.0's are generally grumpy after you do studs and have the oil system opened up,it usually takes driving it a few miles to get the air out,as far as the thumping sound in the intake,its possible you didnt get a push rod in correctly.is the motor more clattery than normal?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I had about 25 miles of driving before all the air was outta the system after my gaskets and studs. It would run decent then horrible, but after the air was purged it ran great. Not a single issue since and that was about 5000 miles ago.

STROKER

Reaction score
ok thanks it was definitely more clattery than normal maybe ill check the pushrods and retorque injectors what do you think about it not building any boost?

Reaction score
you have the map sensor hooked back up?vgt solenoid plugged in?no need to retorqe injectors if they were torque to spec originally,you'd have to break the hpo system open again

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Can u hear the turbo spin down when u turn the truck off? If not maybe the turbo took a dump. Its easy enough to pull the intake to check the turbo. And you deffinitely stiill have air in the hpo system.

Last edited:

STROKER

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys! The turbos a nonvgt, everythings hooked up and the turbos fine, the main issue was the bridger on the valve somehow came off I got it back running normal now. I still can't get the turbo to light but it might be to much fuel cause I haven't got new tunes yet

Reaction score
someone was saying that when the pushrods are removed, the lifters fully extend and can stick. if this happens the valve can strike the piston and bend the pushrod. cure for this is to thump the pushrod side of the rockers with a rubber mallet after tightening them down, before rotating the engine. or just torque it down and let it sit overnight before cranking. a few guys have had issues with it, put the pushrods in perfectly and HTH did i bend a rod. it wouldn't hurt to check the pushrods on the bridge that came loose, they can be bent and still seem snug, fooled people on initial examination

chappy

Reaction score
Just speculating here but two much fuel from the new injectors should over spool the turbo not under spool it I would think. How much have you drove the truck since doing the install? If there is air in the system still then It might not be firing the injectors to there ability and with a bigger turbo not light it like they should yet. And When you say turning over faster I am assuming you mean kinda like a gasse if you have the spark plugs pulled meaning no compression. So backto the air in the oil system,it will not fire the injetors right so it seems like no compression. I would try driving it some more and see hat it does. Its defenitley sounding oil related for all your problems to me any way. If its not air in it then you have a problem somewhere oil related i would say.

STROKER

Reaction score
Well I got the main issue figured out somehow a bridge got knocked off an exhaust valve. I got that back on it sounds normal now, I got tunes yesterday for it and ran it about 20 miles and the truck will barely make 20psi of boost when I used to be able to hit 40 could it just be that it's got new heads on it and the valves need to be broken in? Or could it be that one of the exhaust valves got bent when the bridge was off. Any input you guys have would be great thanks

Reaction score
time for a compression test and physically pull the pushrods and look at them. a number of ford diesel mechs have described the lifter issue, and had no valve damage, so while its not impossible the weak link seems to be the pushrod. which isn't all bad pushrod is way easier to change than valve. if a valve bent your prob looking at piston damage too. as well as non visible damage to the partner valve.

STROKER

Reaction score
When I pulled the heads I checked all the pushrods and their all fine none are bent

willholl79

Reaction score
I think he means re-check the pushrods since you ran it with the bridge(rocker) out of wack.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yes its something that happens as a result of having the rockers off. the bend happens when you crank it the first time after putting it back together

STROKER

Reaction score
Oh ok I never knew new that thanks I just pulled the pushrod when I put the bridge back on and inspected it maybe I'll pull it again. What would be the symptoms of a bent pushrod?

Latest posts

Members online