Major 04 6.0 problem

BudMan0460

Reaction score
Hello Powerstroke people! Bought a heavily modified '04 250 a week and a half ago. The truck is a beast. I don't ride the truck hard, but today I was pushing 2nd gear and I heard something break. Truck lost power and stalled. As I was coasting I was able to start it. Stalled again. Started and then cranked but wouldn't start. Oil leaking heavily from behind the balancer on the crank, and I see a crack in the housing between the block and the balancer. I'm a 7.3 guy. Obviously new to 6.0. What am I looking at here?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
^Yup, they usually dont just give up though. Typically something runs through it, like needle bearings from a lifter that cause it to grenade. Or a misaligned front cover, but usually that only makes it 20 miles or so...

sootie

Reaction score
agreed. unless it was running a fluidampr and broke. otherwise ya, something had to have gone thru it.

BudMan0460

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. This has been an expensive week and a half. At work now. Going home later to start taking it apart. I'll get some pics and post. I'll drain the pan through a strainer to see if I find any debris.

BudMan0460

Reaction score
Trying to stay positive. Took a rare earth magnet and "swept" any steel debris towards the pan drain from the bottom of the pan. Then strained the bucket through a aluminum mesh and saw no particulate. Took the oil filter off and let it drain through the mesh. Still nothing. Good news so far. Taking the filter into work tomorrow for an autopsy. Hopefully no metal. Didn't get to take any picks. Got cold and dark. The crack is in the front cover at about 5 0'clock looking from the front of the motor. More tomorrow.

BudMan0460

Reaction score
Anybody have a good line on where to get the front cover kit? Anything better than OEM? I saw a Ford OEM 04-07 F-350 Super Duty-engine Oil Pump 4c3z6608b. That's the cover kit with a new water pump for $796.

BudMan0460

Reaction score
Sootie, it does have a Vibratech TVD Fluidampr. Model 870201. I will give it a good look once I remove it.

BudMan0460

Reaction score
Oil filter autopsy showed no debris. Cut the can open and removed the element. Then cut the pleated filter from the end caps. Found very few, minute flakes of metal. Something like what you would find on a magnetic drain plug. Pulling the balancer off tomorrow. I'll get some pictures of the oil pump.

sootie

Reaction score
when you rebuild the motor, get the bottom end balanced with the stock balancer and stick with the stock balancer. throw the fluidampr away.

Latest posts

Members online