Rough idle - 6 codes

MeTo

Reaction score
Yesterday on the way home (Wisconsin) from Arizona, my truck developed an intermittent rough idle. Today, it's dong it all the time. It does this ONLY at idle. I scanned it with Car Gauge Pro, it found 6 codes. P1280, P1211, P0236, P0237, P0036 & P007C. I cleared the codes, turned the key off and then back on (no restart) and checked for codes again; P1280 was back.

There is no oil in IPS connector. I have a spare, I will swap them.

Is anyone familiar with the last 4 codes? I don't know how they are even possible; they don't exist. Could it be Car Gauge?

MeTo

Reaction score
The code description states turbo charger sensor, are they talking about the map sensor?

mandkole

Reaction score
Check the harness for the sensor as well. Normally the 1280 only comes up if the plug has been disconnected, so there could be a poor connection. Can you watch ICP to see if it wants to default at 725?

MeTo

Reaction score
Yes I can, thanks. The symptom is not bump related, so my primary focus was not harness/connection related.

I don't understand why this only happens under 4 or 5 percent throttle? Above that, it runs normal and strong.

Tomorrow I will take the truck for a drive and monitor the pids. I just got back from Arizona; 3 day drive. I need a break from the beast.

MeTo

Reaction score
Yup, idles fine at 729.6 (normally ~490) for about a minute. Then the HPOP pressure starts jumping up and down. If I do a restart, the same thing plays out each time??? The oil level is fine. My IPS is the only 21 year old sensor; I do have a spare. Tomorrow, I will install the new one and see how things are?

Thanks mandkole, good call.

Last edited:

MeTo

Reaction score
Installed my $5 salvage IPS. It's running fine again. I'm going to try ordering a new motorcraft from Ford dealer on hear that does discounts. Haven't done that yet. I
guess I will see how that goes?

Thanks again mandkole.

mandkole

Reaction score
Good deal--

I've got a spare sensor w oil in the plug that never gave trouble. These things can't be explained now and then.

Latest posts

Members online