Weird issue

Majorpecs

Reaction score
Okay guys, here's one for you powerstroke gurus. I have a 97 F350 and when I first bought it had an issue develop that when I put on the front tank after a while the fuel filter light would come on and the truck would die. I'd then have to go hit the Schrader valve to let air out of the system in order to crank back up. Flip back to the rear tank and not have any issues.

Fast forward, I stopped using the front tank for about a year, then decided to use it again a few months ago. Had no issues for about 4 tanks, now the same issue has arisen where the fuel filter light comes on and I have to flip to the rear tank to keep the truck running.

On the front tank, the dash gauge goes WAY over the full mark and the tank is empty when it shows about half a tank, not sure if this has anything to do with it or not.

Is there anything I can test to fix this? Would installing a sump fix the issue? I hate only having a rear tank because it's the small one and I have to fill it up all the time.

big adam

Reaction score
My front tank has the same issue. Only mine does it at the quarter tank mark. Cracked pickup tube/straw. I can't offer you any repair tips because I never fixed mine.

Majorpecs

Reaction score
My front tank has the same issue. Only mine does it at the quarter tank mark. Cracked pickup tube/straw. I can't offer you any repair tips because I never fixed mine.
A sump would fix that right? I think I saw swamps had one fairly cheap.

jschildm

Reaction score
I don't believe that explains the filter light and air in the system. Have you checked to see if your vent is plugged?

Majorpecs

Reaction score
I don't believe that explains the filter light and air in the system. Have you checked to see if your vent is plugged?
I know nothing about fuel systems, if you could point me to what to check ,I will def. go check it

Majorpecs

Reaction score
So looking at this, the sump replaces this part, correct? I assume I have to drop the tank to discover this right? Do you have a process on dropping my gas tank?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.