Axle help

gdairyfarm

Reaction score
I am looking to swap axle gears in my truck to 4.10s I plan on buying a cattle trailer and I want to make sure it can handle all the extra weight. First question is how do I figure out what axles my truck have now and would it be easier for me to buy a bigger/larger axle? Dana 60 front Dana 70 back? I don't plan on using this truck to haul the trailer for ever just until I get a bigger truck in a couple years. Also I'd like to keep it a srw truck. It's a 01 f250 regular cab 8 foot bed with the zf6 trans

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jlrisley23

Reaction score
I am looking to swap axle gears in my truck to 4.10s I plan on buying a cattle trailer and I want to make sure it can handle all the extra weight. First question is how do I figure out what axles my truck have now and would it be easier for me to buy a bigger/larger axle? Dana 60 front Dana 70 back? I don't plan on using this truck to haul the trailer for ever just until I get a bigger truck in a couple years. Also I'd like to keep it a srw truck. It's a 01 f250 regular cab 8 foot bed with the zf6 trans

You should have a Dana 60 front axle and a. Sterling 10.5 rear end

co04cobra

Reaction score
You have a dana 50 front and 10.5 rear. If it's a 7.3 you have 3:73 gears.

Easiest way for your swap is to buy a set of axles and put them in. I'd buy a Dana 60 front while doing the change.

jlrisley23

Reaction score
When did they start putting Dana 50s under them

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
All SDs 99-01 does not matter if its 250 or 350, except duallies, got dana 50s.

jlrisley23

Reaction score
All SDs 99-01 does not matter if its 250 or 350, except duallies, got dana 50s.
Then mine was special order or was swapped before I got it because I have a D60 under my truck. I have the 9.75" ring gear

co04cobra

Reaction score
Then mine was special order or was swapped before I got it because I have a D60 under my truck. I have the 9.75" ring gear

Then yes, someone has changed it before you got it.

gdairyfarm

Reaction score
You should have a Dana 60 front axle and a. Sterling 10.5 rear end

Is that rear end good enough to handle the weight I'm Gona be towing or should I still be looking for a different axle. It's Gona be a 8.5 by 28 cattle trailer

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Is that rear end good enough to handle the weight I'm Gona be towing or should I still be looking for a different axle. It's Gona be a 8.5 by 28 cattle trailer

Do you know what the approximate pin weight will be on the loaded trailer? I run a 3200lb pin weight on my srw with no issues. My trailer is also 16k loaded. If concern is there for bending an axle tube do a weld on truss. I doubt you will have a problem I would be more worried about tires. It's when you get above the 3500lb pin weights that I will want a DRW. Not so much for axle strength just for weight distribution and tire capacity.

gdairyfarm

Reaction score
Do you know what the approximate pin weight will be on the loaded trailer? I run a 3200lb pin weight on my srw with no issues. My trailer is also 16k loaded. If concern is there for bending an axle tube do a weld on truss. I doubt you will have a problem I would be more worried about tires. It's when you get above the 3500lb pin weights that I will want a DRW. Not so much for axle strength just for weight distribution and tire capacity.

Hoping to only run the trailer on the truck until I can buy a 450 6.7 then this truck will just be a daily driver

PDT1081

Reaction score
Hoping to only run the trailer on the truck until I can buy a 450 6.7 then this truck will just be a daily driver

You don't want to swap gears. With the ZF6 you won't have any problems getting rolling (on stock tires). If you do, it's because your truck is over loaded to the point you are endangering everybody around you.

psduser1

Reaction score
Following this thread, with the setup you have, I'd say run it. With due caution, of course.
In order of importance:
Brakes
Tires
Axle
Depending on load, the brakes are enough-if-the trailer brakes are perfect.
Stockish 16" tires will not live long at 3k+ pin weight. Better to spend the money on a 12 or even 14 ply tire, which may mean going to a .5 rim i.e. 19.5.
At some point, you will destroy the axle, depending on current condition, but that would be the least of my worries. Unless, of course you know the axle is marginal already.
Or, use it as is, accept it's limitations, and plan on spending the money to fix the problems when they show up, lol.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I think that you better be more worried about what the DOT is going to say.
Its agricultural. Unless he kills someone, they prolly wont say anything.

You actually measured it? Or just by looking at the back side of the axle housing?

And i wouldnt worry about the truck handling the trailer loaded with a few cattle.. this is my 01 and has been used like this for about 10 years now.
c94458bb2e01416904c64e68c237e5f4.jpg

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score
Following this thread, with the setup you have, I'd say run it. With due caution, of course.
In order of importance:
Brakes
Tires
Axle
Depending on load, the brakes are enough-if-the trailer brakes are perfect.
Stockish 16" tires will not live long at 3k+ pin weight. Better to spend the money on a 12 or even 14 ply tire, which may mean going to a .5 rim i.e. 19.5.
At some point, you will destroy the axle, depending on current condition, but that would be the least of my worries. Unless, of course you know the axle is marginal already.
Or, use it as is, accept it's limitations, and plan on spending the money to fix the problems when they show up, lol.

Yep-- Been there, seen that done on a 2500 Dodge 2wd that was owned by the drum corps I volunteered with. It was a hot mess... ran at 21K# (6K on rear axle) with a 32' tag all the time. We killed two tires and a rear end during a 12K miles summer tour. They just put another used rear end and new tires on it and kept going. You had to be incredibly careful with braking distance as it was overloaded. I put two weeks in driving that truck on tour and never again.

If you don't have the money, I get it-- be safe.

Reaction score
A 28ft cattle trailer will be a lot of weight for a srw. I run a 23ft and the 7.3s grunt when it's loaded with cows. Keep in mind that weight ratings for these truck are somewhere's around 20k ibs with the trailer. I run 9 big cows in my 23 footer (charolais, simmental, anguses, shorthorns and various crosses of the three), at 1500 ibs a cows if not more, I'm on the borderline of 20k ibs. If you're deadset on the 28 footer, I suggest then you don't load it right up as you'll run out of power, suspension and brakes.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
There is 19k lbs just for the hay thats on my 01 in that pic. Plus 6k lb trailer and 8k lb truck. Good trailer brakes make a big difference!

live life full throttle