California smog on Out of state registered truck

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm stationed at Beale AFB in NorCal. My truck is registered in Michigan, have a MI ID. I have been getting harassed by CHP lately for a number of things that are illegal here, but not in Michigan. Michigan is a Non-Smog state, last night a CHP officer pulled me over because my truck was too loud and told me I need to get a cat (truck didn't come with one), or a muffler, and he threatened to smog my truck. How can they smog my truck if my home states smog laws are different? I'm not registered here, I don't permanently live here. I only have a few months left dealing with this bull**** state but this is the 4th time I've gotten pulled over by CHP for dumb ****. Any info on the matter is appreciated.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
If you have an address in Michigan where it is registered than you are good. My friend registered his truck at his Arizona river house but lived here in socal and he didn't have to do anything for cali. If it complies with the state it is registered in you should be good. Tint wise I know they can get you still.

Garrett

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys, yes my truck is registered through my home of record in Michigan. im just tired of getting harassed for this ****. I did get a tint ticket here. Which is understandable, not many states allow front window tint.

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Uncool, from the sounds of it they can't do to much since I have no assets in this state, I rent my house not own. Good to know, thank you!

Rentstdi, I separate next July, and am going overseas this fall for a while, and I cannot wait to leave. This place is garbage. Such a shame that liberal influenced laws ruin such a badass state. I'd love to stay here for good if the gun and vehicle laws weren't so attrocious!

raptor

Reaction score
as long as you are not a permanent resident of calif your are ok except for the excessive noise that they try to get you with but you don't have to change your truck. I am originally from ca but left to lack of work and the crazy laws ,far as noise you might want to look into putting a muffler on for now to just stop getting harassed cause most of the Chp officers in Cali are just plan dicks toward diesel owners unless the have one themselves

Twan

Reaction score
1st emissions is not a state run thing. You'll should know this already. It's Federal.

All the states do is decide if they want to make you pay them to check that it's still on your vehicle.

The best thing I can say is watch how you drive, I go to California all the time with my truck. Never had a problem. I have a 5" on mine too.

Latest posts

Members online