trans temp question

slc6oh

Reaction score
Recently installed 2008 5r110 after I smoked my stock one. this trans is a used trans and has a fresh rebuilt precision industries converter. everything at least FEELS fine with the trans....

Do aftermarket converters typically cause temps to run a bit higher or am I being paranoid?

hadn't got really hot yet for the summer before I installed the trans, but the last few weeks has been 95+ every day it seems like, and I don't recally my trans ever being as warm as it is...

example, today traffic was worse than usual on commute home and trans hovered around 175-180. eot/ect was in the 202-205 range by time I got home. with stop and go pretty much the entire way.... knowing trans oil goes through the radiator I kinda assume with not a lot of air the trans is going to be warmer, I just never remember seeing that even towing before.

going to work in the morning before the suns up with 65-70degree outside temps I stay 160-165ish on trans temp. still stop and go highway, but far less traffic.

Any recommendations on a bigger trans cooler?

78f100

Reaction score
202 is getting pretty toasty, did you replace or flush the cooler with the new trans?

slc6oh

Reaction score
202 is getting pretty toasty, did you replace or flush the cooler with the new trans?

that's eot/ect. even towing with the converter unlocked up hill, I don't think ive seen that on the trans yet...

All I did was push some clean oil backwards through it (from the connections at the trans) then lightly blew through with the air nozzle... so whatever that's worth... new tp filter and in pan filter at the time too.

new cooler is def sounding good.

Last edited:

78f100

Reaction score
My bad man I read that wrong. Mine in my 6.4 runs 160 to 170 and has a new cooler, radiator, and deep pan, it has a really loose converter and a single turbo though. I don't think yours is terrible but does seem a little high.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Yeah, like its not high enough to scare me, but does seem alittle high... (Also currently on a non vgt charger)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
the cooler circuit is opening past it's normal 10% bypass constant flow at 170 *

while your temps aren't scary if you had metal in the fluid from the last failure
I think you made a big mistake not changing the Air to oil cooler and at least flushing the Rad cooler with real flush chemical ( stuff really works )

the TP filter only filters a percent of the fluid and won't stop cooler contaminants from going right in to the tranny

slc6oh

Reaction score
the cooler circuit is opening past it's normal 10% bypass constant flow at 170 *

while your temps aren't scary if you had metal in the fluid from the last failure
I think you made a big mistake not changing the Air to oil cooler and at least flushing the Rad cooler with real flush chemical ( stuff really works )

the TP filter only filters a percent of the fluid and won't stop cooler contaminants from going right in to the tranny

i agree 100% on the flush, and know i should/should have at least flush... No real metal in old oil, unless what looked to be clutch material was metal, nothing waay crazy in the stock trans pan... The oil jus looked burnt to **** tho.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Ive got enough oil on hand for a drain and re fill. Maybe i should do that and new filters this weekend at least

Zmann

Reaction score
ahh mine had silver paste in the filter so i had to do the flush on the lines and Rad cooler
if it was just burnt I wouldn't have been so concerned and probably wouldn't have spent another 350.00 for the air to oil cooler

slc6oh

Reaction score
Yeah, thats kinda where i was, the oil looked like garbage for sure, nothin shiny in it tho, so i figured do what i could at the time and get as much old oil out of the system i could.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Did you keep the radiator and aux cooler that were there with the failed trans? That's a recipe to have to replace the trans again. Best case there is debris in the coolers that is keeping them from cooling as well as they should. Worse case some of that debris gets loose and destroys the new trans.

Having said that, your temps are normal. There is a thermostat in the 5R110 that has a nominal temp of 165°F. You will only get 10% of the normal flow to the coolers until the trans is warmer than 165°F. This is not a digitally controlled temperature, individual temps can vary. Yours are on the higher side, but that could be either a plugged cooler or a high end thermostat.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Did you keep the radiator and aux cooler that were there with the failed trans? That's a recipe to have to replace the trans again. Best case there is debris in the coolers that is keeping them from cooling as well as they should. Worse case some of that debris gets loose and destroys the new trans.

Having said that, your temps are normal. There is a thermostat in the 5R110 that has a nominal temp of 165°F. You will only get 10% of the normal flow to the coolers until the trans is warmer than 165°F. This is not a digitally controlled temperature, individual temps can vary. Yours are on the higher side, but that could be either a plugged cooler or a high end thermostat.

Yea i kept both coolers.

Its been 2500mi or so sense new filters & oil went in with the trans&new converter

Think it would be worth payin to have a good heated flush done mark??

Zmann

Reaction score
not that it is going to hurt
I don't see the heated flush getting any cooler contaminants out of the coolers

the OEM heated flush just exchanges hot fresh fluid for hot old fluid

when you run the chemical flush on an isolated cooler and go bidirectional like ford recommends for the Radiator / Transmission cooler you can see the crud come out of a contaminated cooler even after a trans fluid flush

j.mo

Reaction score
My Warren Trans runs basically your same Temps OP. Coupled it with a new 31 row cooler when the new Trans went in, even though there was no debris in my system from the old Trans. Hell, it runs the same temp in my 75k mile truck that it's now in that had a perfectly good Trans come from it, so I'd venture to say it's not an issue with your cooler. I've had mine sent back to Warren and he says everything is completely well with it. So I'm stumped, has a PI converter as well

Latest posts

Members online