Def in diesel

jonathan734

Reaction score
Well it happened. Had a guy put def in the diesel tank. About a gallon in an already full diesel tank. He realized what happened and stopped. He did start the truck to move it backwards and it ran about 15 seconds. We had it towed to our shop. So what now? Drop and drain the tank with new filters or does it need more? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sootie

Reaction score
Drop the tank and drain it. Take off the lpfp bowl, remove the upper fuel filter, disconnect the lines from the fuel cool and lpfp-drain what you can from everywhere.

jonathan734

Reaction score
Pulled the engine fuel filter and it shows signs of def. Guess ill be doing the whole thing... anything better out there than fords kit? The truck is a little racey... would an after market cp4 be better?

sootie

Reaction score
Nothing better than Ford's kit. I would drain/clean as I mentioned and run it. If it hadn't actually failed yet, why not run it until it does? You are replacing all the same parts regardless...

Unless your story isn't accurate and someone ran the truck until it quit. Takes longer than 15sec to get def in the upper filter. Either the diesel tank wasn't full, and they put a LOT of def in it, or they ran it for minutes.

jonathan734

Reaction score
I guess id rather just not have it die on my somewhere that left me in a bad spot.

I dont think it ran longer than that but they did sit in it with the key on listening to the radio. I read that would circulate the fuel? Who knows maybe the tow guy started it. Either way im not sure what the best plan is.

sootie

Reaction score
I guess id rather just not have it die on my somewhere that left me in a bad spot.

I dont think it ran longer than that but they did sit in it with the key on listening to the radio. I read that would circulate the fuel? Who knows maybe the tow guy started it. Either way im not sure what the best plan is.

Well ya it got pumped around with the key on. I'd still do what I suggested

jonathan734

Reaction score
Drained the tank, blew the lines, and put new filters in. Started and ran rough for a min but cleared right up. Let it run for 5 min and put new filters in again. Seems to be fine. I guess time will ultimately tell. Thanks sootie and ghohouston for the advice. If she lets go ill make sure to give an update.

Latest posts

Members online