Clearing oil from cylinders after injector R&R

Big Bore

Reaction score
Hey guys, been awhile since I posted here. Finally doing some work on the old 7.3 and new orings and gp's are on the menu. Was refreshing my knowledge and reading some articles, ran across a pdf from Swamps that said blowing the oil out of the gp holes was a no-no and could cause engine damage. I swear I learned that trick from Dave or Jonathon way back on TDS when i bought a set of Babies. I recall the first time I did it was replacing a bad injector from swamps and Tom S was standing there when the vc I didnt put any bolts in blew off and covered everything in oil. Lesson learned, two bolts in vc before cranking, its a lot of pressure. Anyway, Has something changed or is that a cya situation? i've already reinstalled the injectors, removed gp's and about to install vc's and turn it over. Thanks a bunch for any information.

CJunkie

Reaction score
You can, will generally make a bigger mess though. I prefer doing it by hand too.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Go by hand to get the bulk out then you can turn over by starter. If you try with the starter and there’s more in the cylinder than can come out at a given rate you could mess up the valve train.

Arisley

Reaction score
I always go two full revolutions by hand. Then snug the valve covers and bumb the starter, don't go steady crank like you are trying to start it.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Are you guys really serious?!?!? I’d have expected better knowledge out of you fellow “experienced” 7.3 guys. By hand, then use the starter? Mess up the valve train? COME ON!! Work smarter not harder!

Big Bore (sorry man I can’t remember your name as it’s been YEARS! Frank is it?), do it how you’ve always done it!! So long as there’s oil in the bottom of the engine to lube the rotating assembly, you won’t have an issue. There is NO compression in any cylinders, so even though Berman has apparently reverted back to his dipwad days, it won’t cause issues with the vavletrain at all!

Throw a few bolts into each VC, keep the 42 pin connector unplugged so the idm isn’t commanding fuel injection, and bump the starter several times. Pull covers, clean up any messes as oil drips off them, reinstall what’s left, and change the oil for good measure since it now has raw fuel in it from the injector swap, then go drive the piss out of it to get the air out of the system!

If I’ve done one 7.3 injector swap this way, I’ve done 30 (maybe more) over the years. Never once have I (and likely hundreds of other people) EVER had a problem only bumping the starter to evacuate the cylinders.

79jasper

Reaction score
I've done it from the starter on the few I've done. Kept being told "it was wrong." LOL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I too have done it with the starter, tiny bumps, nothing big. I did remove a couple bent pushrods a couple days after... i wonder if that was why.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Are you guys really serious?!?!? I’d have expected better knowledge out of you fellow “experienced” 7.3 guys. By hand, then use the starter? Mess up the valve train? COME ON!! Work smarter not harder!

Big Bore (sorry man I can’t remember your name as it’s been YEARS! Frank is it?), do it how you’ve always done it!! So long as there’s oil in the bottom of the engine to lube the rotating assembly, you won’t have an issue. There is NO compression in any cylinders, so even though Berman has apparently reverted back to his dipwad days, it won’t cause issues with the vavletrain at all!

Throw a few bolts into each VC, keep the 42 pin connector unplugged so the idm isn’t commanding fuel injection, and bump the starter several times. Pull covers, clean up any messes as oil drips off them, reinstall what’s left, and change the oil for good measure since it now has raw fuel in it from the injector swap, then go drive the piss out of it to get the air out of the system!

If I’ve done one 7.3 injector swap this way, I’ve done 30 (maybe more) over the years. Never once have I (and likely hundreds of other people) EVER had a problem only bumping the starter to evacuate the cylinders.

Yea man, it's been a few years, you got it right. :D

I've done it that way several times with no issues but I'm also aware I might have been lucky lol, and I just can't afford to break things right now due to tight schedule and a long road trip ahead so I guess I'm more nervous about things like this than I used to be. :D I don't mind taking a little extra time to roll it by hand a few times, cheap insurance.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yea man, it's been a few years, you got it right. :D

I've done it that way several times with no issues but I'm also aware I might have been lucky lol, and I just can't afford to break things right now due to tight schedule and a long road trip ahead so I guess I'm more nervous about things like this than I used to be. :D I don't mind taking a little extra time to roll it by hand a few times, cheap insurance.
Better safe than sorry..

Ine of those brake bleeder canisters work great also. Just stick the tube down into it and shake it around a bit so it doesn't just seal to the top of the piston then put vc on and bump starter. Im to broken in my old age to do much Armstrong chit anymore so i find easier ways to do stuff. Might take longer but thats my life now.

live life full throttle

tomlin

Reaction score
Look at it this way, take a full bottle of Dawn dish soap, open the lid and turn it on its side and squeeze it. Soap will flow out the tip. Now, take the same bottle and quickly stomp on it and note the carnage. The soap bottle is your engine. Hydrostatic pressure can be devastating if it happens where it shouldn't.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Imo if you remove the 1/8th inch allen plugs under the valve covers, let the oil rail drain like you're supposed to, and then remove the injectors, you don't get that much oil/ fuel in the cylinders. I have replaced at least hundreds if not thousands of heui injectors, and have not had a direct or indirect issue afterwards from cranking the engine with gp's removed and 42 pin connector disconnected.

01drwmoneypit

Reaction score
Oil sample suction gun, piece of tubing and suck it out. Not saying you can’t spin it over, but it for sure doesn’t clear the whole cylinder just what’s above the bowl. Also seems to me there’s a slight chance of dislodging an injector cup.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
All 8 injectors today in an e series. Left glow plugs out, suck straw on my Milwaukee 12v pump into cylinders, stuffed some towels and cardboard over the engine. Cranked her over.

Easy as pie

Arisley

Reaction score
Oil sample suction gun, piece of tubing and suck it out. Not saying you can’t spin it over, but it for sure doesn’t clear the whole cylinder just what’s above the bowl. Also seems to me there’s a slight chance of dislodging an injector cup.

How are you going to dislodge an injector cup? Injectors are in and bolted down. As far as not completely clearing the cylinder, it will clear out enough so that you do not have to worry about hydrolock. Fist or second time the cylinder fires, I promise you, there will be no more oil in the cylinder.

Latest posts

Members online