Hot start problem?

188slo50

Reaction score
If I let the truck sit for how ever long then go to start it will fire right up but if I drive it any where from 20 min to town or for an 1 hr drive when I park it and go back out to start I will just crank. I usually have to cycle the key 2x for it to fire up and does this every time. I've replaced fuel filters,added a fp gauge to my CTS to watch and it stays around 74 All the time. What/where should I be looking to fix this problem?

Lipka101

Reaction score
High pressure oil problem. Start with the usual checking FICM voltage, icp, ipr one or more of them will be off. Have stand pipes, dummy plugs or STC fitting ever been replaced? Every other 6.0 thread is this exact problem. Search and you will find your answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

188slo50

Reaction score
High pressure oil problem. Start with the usual checking FICM voltage, icp, ipr one or more of them will be off. Have stand pipes, dummy plugs or STC fitting ever been replaced? Every other 6.0 thread is this exact problem. Search and you will find your answer.

FICM voltage is 49.7 but what's icp and ipr? I'm new to the diesel world and from what I can tell truck is all stock.

What year truck?

'05

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'd start with replacing stand pipes and dummy plugs, if they haven't already been. Once you get the valve covers off, if any of the 4 stand pipes or dummy plugs aren't a 12mm allen, they need to be replaced.

Lipka101

Reaction score
FICM voltage is 49.7 but what's icp and ipr? I'm new to the diesel world and from what I can tell truck is all stock.

'05
Icp is injection control pressure and ipr is injector pressure regulator.
Icp has to been above 500 to fire the injectors, watch it while cranking

I forget the exact numbers to look for on the ipr but if it's 85% or higher when cranking it's compensating for a leak or high pressure oil issue. Should be like 35%.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

johnp115

Reaction score
I would start with trying to find someone who can do an air test for you. You have a high pressure oil leak somewhere. It can be in the places mentioned in this post or it could even be the O-rings on your injectors. Also check your oil level and see if it's any higher/if there's fuel in there. If it's an injector it could be leaking fuel into your oil.

So possible areas

STC fitting
Stand pipes
Dummy plugs
HPO rail that covers injectors
Injectors them selves

188slo50

Reaction score
Icp is injection control pressure and ipr is injector pressure regulator.
Icp has to been above 500 to fire the injectors, watch it while cranking

I forget the exact numbers to look for on the ipr but if it's 85% or higher when cranking it's compensating for a leak or high pressure oil issue. Should be like 35%.

A good scanner/monitor is a must on these trucks, for instances like this.

I'll have to take it somewhere I guess as I have nothing to tell me what's going on when it's starting just the CTS when it's running

I would start with trying to find someone who can do an air test for you. You have a high pressure oil leak somewhere. It can be in the places mentioned in this post or it could even be the O-rings on your injectors. Also check your oil level and see if it's any higher/if there's fuel in there. If it's an injector it could be leaking fuel into your oil.

So possible areas

STC fitting
Stand pipes
Dummy plugs
HPO rail that covers injectors
Injectors them selves

I see no visual leaks and no rise in oil level. I think this is above my expertise so I'll see if I can find a shop to look at it.

Lipka101

Reaction score
I'll have to take it somewhere I guess as I have nothing to tell me what's going on when it's starting just the CTS when it's running

I see no visual leaks and no rise in oil level. I think this is above my expertise so I'll see if I can find a shop to look at it.
High pressure oil leak will be under the valve cover and probably won't be visible even with the valve covers off. Needs to be air tested. The CTS should have icp and ipr PIDs

ghohouston

Reaction score
It wont cost you anything but your time to remove the valve covers, and see what stand pipes and dummy plugs it has. Sure, 6 0's have many possible leak points, but i cant tell yall how many trucks are still running around out there with old stand pipes and dummy plugs, causing no hot starts or long cranks. If they haven't been updated already, he will need to do it anyhow, and it very well could fix his whole issue.

188slo50

Reaction score
High pressure oil leak will be under the valve cover and probably won't be visible even with the valve covers off. Needs to be air tested. The CTS should have icp and ipr PIDs

I'll check to see if it does but I can't test anything as it starts. Truck has to be running for a second until CTS displays anything. Will the numbers while it's running help any?

Lipka101

Reaction score
I'll check to see if it does but I can't test anything as it starts. Truck has to be running for a second until CTS displays anything. Will the numbers while it's running help any?
It should power up with key on engine off.

188slo50

Reaction score
It should power up with key on engine off.

It will power up with just the key but once you go to start it resets itself and by the time the truck is running it's finally on again.

Where are you located? If you're going to take it to a shop atleast give us the chance to point you to a repeatable person if we can.

Va near Fredericksburg.

johnp115

Reaction score
It will power up with just the key but once you go to start it resets itself and by the time the truck is running it's finally on again.

Va near Fredericksburg.

Perfect, Kevin McGray is the man to go to if you didn't already know. I think he merged with another shop but just search up knuckle head diesel performance on fb

188slo50

Reaction score
Perfect, Kevin McGray is the man to go to if you didn't already know. I think he merged with another shop but just search up knuckle head diesel performance on fb

Yea I follow them on FB cause they do some nice stuff but never dealt with them personally.

Last edited:

188slo50

Reaction score
I talked to him the other day and he's super backed up. Will it hurt it or be unreliable in drivability wile it has this problem, I don't drive it everyday but maybe usually on the weekends? Can you tell anything buy the ICP or IPR while at idle or is it during start up only?

188slo50

Reaction score
I figured out how to start it with the gauges showing and it cranks @ 33% on IPR and 600 on ICP with no start and this was on a cool engine. Do I need to do it on a hot engine to get the correct results? If I cycle the key 2x it will start up every time, acts like it losses fuel pressure while sitting maybe?