06 cc drw 7.3 4r100

JDow

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum. Skip to next post for this build.
For those that want the back story : I've had several 7.3's over the last 15 years, worked on hundreds of them (ase master tech, L1, diesel, etc) and built some pretty stout trucks. My maroon zf6 was in the first diesel power challenge in 06. Got over all that about 8 years ago and drove nothing but stock trucks for work and hauling my boat.
A few years ago my best friend had a ccdrw lariat that I fell in love with and had to have. Well, my friend got real sick and before he passed pretty much gave me the truck.
Fast forward almost one year, coupling breaks off my boat trailer, and as I pulled down my driveway the boat tried to pass the truck but missed and wiped out the bed and cab! I was more destroyed than the truck. I found a super clean 99 xlt white ccdrw in Chicago and drove it home. The whole time I have the lariat sitting in the driveway and can't figure out what I want to do with it. At 215k the "new truck" starts smoking and skipping bad. Here comes the build.

JDow

Reaction score
So my buddy owns a commercial truck dealer, calls me one day and says "hey what are you doing with your wrecked truck?" I replied it's not for sale. "You're going to fix it right?"
I'd like to rebuild it with an 06 frame, nose, interior. "Check your email"
Well wouldn't you know, a fairly clean, 06 ccdrw with no motor is running through the auction he goes to every week. We buy it and the swap begins!
I pulled both trucks into the shop, and stripped them bare. No wiring no fuel lines cabs off etc. more to come....

JDow

Reaction score
Once both trucks were bare, I put a new oil pan, cooler, uvch, hpop, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, belts, hoses, pullies, and a bunch of other misc on the 7.3. Next up the 06 axles got all new seals, bearings, wheel bearings, pads, rotors, calipers, brake hoses, shocks, sway bar links, bushings everything I could think of.
I rebuilt the 4r100 and put that with the cleaned up 7.3 into the 06 frame. No big deal to do that, pretty cool everything bolts right in. I used the 06 fuel tank, lines and pump and recent the lines to the engine to attach to the 7.3

JDow

Reaction score
Now that the everything was squared away I swapped the under hood harness, fuse boxes, relays, wiper motor, horns, abs pump and brake lines. The chassis harness was very straight forward, but my 06 had backup sensors I wanted to retain. I removed the wires from the harness for them, and put them inside the 2000 chassis harness. Also ran my backup camera rca through the factory loom. Several times I found it invaluable having a donor truck. The rear driveshaft had to be shortened, but the front was fine.

sootie

Reaction score
wish we had pics to tell what the frick you are talking about.

JDow

Reaction score
Well this was a waste of time. Sorry you only read picture books.

Latest posts

Members online