2001 7.3 wont start when cold

Reaction score
When you turn key on to heat plugs go up front and take a screw driver and bridge the post on the air intake heater solenoid for about 15 sec then try to start it. 3 trucks around my area are doing this. For some reason it won't send signal to the heater solenoid.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
He's pulling appropriate amperage. Plugs are getting juice. Whether or not it's intermittent, another issue

Arisley

Reaction score
You won't see 14v unless engine is running and alternator is charging.

Almost never do I have above 12v when working on anything. As long as it matches battery voltage and that's above 10.5v, no worries

True. I would still put it on a charger though. See if it helps.

Reaction score
I would still try the bridging the post on the intake heater solenoid and see if it starts. I had this same issue on my dually I replaced everything related to glow plugs with new ford parts. Everything was checking out fine just like his. I crossed that heater solenoid while the wait to start light was on and it fired right up. I know it sounds far fetched but just try it.

97cherokee

Reaction score
im going to see if i can borrow a friends scanner friday and see if ican check icp while cranking, iv also been told to check and see if oil is flowing out of the injector spouts.

97cherokee

Reaction score
im going to see if i can borrow a friends scanner friday and see if ican check icp while cranking, iv also been told to check and see if oil is flowing out of the injector spouts.

and yeah ill also give the intake air heater a try, i know alot of people say its not needed... but its there for a reason

Reaction score
It didn't and still don't make sense to me about the intake heater causing no start cause my 250 don't even have one and it starts fine. But for whatever reason that's what was keeping mine from starting.

dsberman94

Reaction score
You’re sure you jumped the right relay? They are right next to each other. I haven’t had an AIH for years and it’s never been an issue.

97cherokee

Reaction score
so a little update for now... put the gloe plugs back in and the harness. checked my hpop resevoir level and it was slam full. cranked it over with key on and using a starter button and watching the oil deflector spouts. truck cranked up fairly quickly, never did see any oil coming out of the spouts though. i have been told you should see oil while cranking????? also truck was obviously missing on a few cylinders when it started but cleared up really quick... this is not a new issue, the truck has always done this if its sat for few days but could be the actual issue.

97cherokee

Reaction score
so checked icp psi and ipr while cranking... its 830 psi... guess im down to injectors??????????????????????????

dmd

Reaction score
Is the AIH even supposed turn on before the truck is even running? Jumping the replay
would turn it on and heat the into air some. That could be enough for it to start.

mandkole

Reaction score
so checked icp psi and ipr while cranking... its 830 psi... guess im down to injectors??????????????????????????

Could be.. you're bleeding hpo. Pull the VCs, put a hand pump on each rail. Or, disable the injectors and crank the motor. This poor mans way to pump oil and perhaps you can see bleeding past the top oring or past the poppets.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I’m leaning towards an electrical issue. Icp sensor is seeing more than enough HPO for the computers to fire the injectors. And from experience I know that truck will eventually start if you crank on it long enough even without glow plugs. The starter gets messed up but the truck starts. You aren’t seeing oil because the computer isn’t telling the injector to fire.

Just out of curiosity, do the dash lights go out like normal or does the WTS light never turn off and the CEL if you turn the key to on and leave it there?

97cherokee

Reaction score
dash lights operate like normal and the truck started right up. loped for a split second like an inj is worn. also did a driving datalog with my solus yesterday monitoring icp and ipr. icp at a warm oil temp idle is 475 and under heavy throttle and boost will hold around 2k when the icp was at 475 my ipr was at 10%
also when i had the covers off i looked for oil leaks, never did see any
and yeah all you gotta do is get the cylinder temps up enough to make ignition, not healthy though for a lot of things.

Latest posts

Members online