high idle?

pt_ranger_v8

Reaction score
Since it's Saturday, and I'm bored, I'm reading through the 'Features Description Service Features' manual for 94-98 Ford trucks, and the Engine oil temp below 50*C (122*F) will make the PCM up-idle to a maximum of 900 rpm.

So, apparently, the OBS trucks STOCK have a high idle feature. (it's only 900 rpms though)

JCart

Reaction score
Since it's Saturday, and I'm bored, I'm reading through the 'Features Description Service Features' manual for 94-98 Ford trucks, and the Engine oil temp below 50*C (122*F) will make the PCM up-idle to a maximum of 900 rpm.

So, apparently, the OBS trucks STOCK have a high idle feature. (it's only 900 rpms though)

Good one pt.... Wonder what's going on with my '96 ? It almost goes below 500 and has never (idled up) since I've had it (Sept) has only 67k kilometres on it, 45k miles. Perhaps the engine temp sensor is booogered. The dang EBPV won't come on until it's off idle and I've had it come on at highway speeds, which is most annoying. Been -15 C here lately too. Also have the rad covered off save for 2" on each side this one doesn't warm up. T-stat maybe stuck open I guess.

Thanks for the heads up
jrc

old man dave

Reaction score
Maybe a true 1100 rpm High Idle depends on the particular PCM code the truck has. May be like the fuel cutoff at high boost, some have it some don't on an OBS.

cleatus12r

Reaction score
The 94-97 7.3L engines WILL NOT automatically "idle up" after being at a low idle for any amount of time in certain temperature conditions as the 99-later 7.3L vehicles will. It is not possible....unless the oil temperature somehow drops substantially while the engine is running.

However, the idle WILL be elevated any time the oil temperature is below 32 degrees F. This higher-than-normal idle will be between 650-1100 RPM from 32 degrees to -4 degrees F respectfully and as much as 1200 RPM when colder than that. The idle speed will drop as the temperature comes up. But will be unaffected by time or gear position other than added load.

Differing base calibrations may have a little bit of change to these numbers but the mode of operation will be similar.

Exhaust backpressure strategies are a totally different story as there are many different mapping strategies between base calibrations (hint: and they all suck until made useful).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Aside from the elevated idle that cleatus12r describes, TSB 94-19-18 (attached) describes the only high idle function that was available (not counting the factor APCM). Cheers!

Attachments

• TSB 94-19-18 1994 Selectable RPM Control.pdf
    100.1 KB · Views: 70

cleatus12r

Reaction score
That's neat. I wonder what the calibration HEX is and assume also it's only for DPC-203 PCMs given it's for 1994 only.

Cool information!

superpsd

Reaction score
Base idle speed in the calibration is completely adjustable. Most factory calibrations will idle the engine higher and drop idle speed as EOT increases. As I had posted in the 101 tuning thread I have played with idle speed all the way down to 400 rpm. Idle speed can be very quickly adjusted with Minotaur.

Latest posts

Members online