Leaky fuel filter lid

Derik_C

Reaction score
Changed fuel filter cause it was leaking, upon install of the new one, everything worked great it was an easy install.... get up this morning crank up the truck fuel spraying everywhere.... can there be to much pressure in that fuel bowl to blow by that rubber gasket? Upon re inspection I removed the cap and it was really hard to remove it.... I screwed it in with my hand. So I km now it was not cross threaded.... any input?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score
Are you using a genuine Motorcraft filter and cap? If not, the generic ones never seem to seal right. I had one strand me on a jobsite a 9 P.M in 3* weather one time after I had changed it twice in 2 weeks because it kept leaking. Since I have only used genuine ones and had zero issues. The pressure is only about 60 PSI but the orings supplied with the generic ones typically aren't beveled and the caps are too flimsy so a proper seal is not possible. FWIW, I have been know to use one of the adjustable oil filter socket wrenches or an axle nut socket that fits the Ford cap to take it on and off. The cap should be snugged up with a wrench when installing the new filter. Riffraff has the fuel filters here: http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/oem-fuel-filter-99-03/. This is the best deal I have found so far. If you haven't already and your truck has over 200k, I would suggest purchasing a fuel bowl reseal kit as well to prevent any other leaks, especially in the drain valve. I have already done the job on my dad's truck and am actually doing it on mine tomorrow since it drips fuel all over in the morning when it is 18* out. Riffraff sells these as well: http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/complete-fuel-bowl-seal-kit-99-03/. I have included a picture of the kind of filter wrench I use. Hope you are able to get it fixed quickly.
dd44fb65f7a22398b5cbb9fb31cb444b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Derik_C

Reaction score
Yes.... even with the beveled gasket and Ford parts.... I do believe it's getting to much pressure. So much pressure that the gasket blew out the side and squirting everywhere.... does that pressure regulator shut off the flow over a certain pressure?

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score
Yes.... even with the beveled gasket and Ford parts.... I do believe it's getting to much pressure. So much pressure that the gasket blew out the side and squirting everywhere.... does that pressure regulator shut off the flow over a certain pressure?

I'm not sure, but it could be that the regulated return is stuck shut at idle. You may need to pull the top fuel line on the driver's side of the bowl off and pull off the fitting that is there. Easy enough to check on the truck rather than having to spend 30 min pulling the bowl.

F^3 Concrete

Reaction score
Any news on the issue? I'd hate for it to go unresolved. Also it might benefit others to hear what the solution may have been.

Latest posts

Members online