02 limited a/c problems

1badpsd

Reaction score
Picked up a 02 a few months ago that had sat 2 years with a no start issue. I got it running and a/c wouldn't stay charged so I went ahead and replaced compressor/orifice tube and dryer. Now it will freeze you out most of the time but randomly seems to not blow as cold, also the rear a/c isn't cold at all. How does the rear system work, I assumed it was all one system but like I said its no colder now then when I first bought it. Any info or diagrams would be appreciated.

hermantile

Reaction score
I'll be watching this one closely. My 02 blows cold most times but we'll have a two minute period where it seems as though it is only blowing outside air. Rear works fine however.

sent via electronic leash

pwrstrk01

Reaction score
As far as the random no a/c there is a pressure switch right next to the engine oil dipstick that is sometimes problematic might give that a wiggle and see if your clutch cycles on and off you can get a new pigtail from ford..

Dieselfever

Reaction score
The rear system is T'd into the front, the discharge line from the condenser splits before the orifice tube and goes to the rear evaporator, which has its own orifice tube.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Okay, the rear on my Excursion isn't blowing cold either. I found out the rear uses an expansion valve not an orifice tube, I recovered the system and vacuumed it to leak test it, then recharged it. Everything thing seems to be working correctly, the line going into the rear evaporator from the expansion valve is cold and coming out is also so I'm sure there is flow through it.

I guess I need to get into the box and make sure the blend door is working and that air is going through the evaporator. Has anyone taken one apart, it looks like I need remove the rear seat and remove the whole interior panel

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Okay, the rear on my Excursion isn't blowing cold either. I found out the rear uses an expansion valve not an orifice tube, I recovered the system and vacuumed it to leak test it, then recharged it. Everything thing seems to be working correctly, the line going into the rear evaporator from the expansion valve is cold and coming out is also so I'm sure there is flow through it.

I guess I need to get into the box and make sure the blend door is working and that air is going through the evaporator. Has anyone taken one apart, it looks like I need remove the rear seat and remove the whole interior panel

I'm having the same exact issue. Mine will blow cool for a short time right after start up, but will eventually blow not so cool. Don't seem to get the drastic change in temp when you turn the temp switch for the rear. Ice cold up front. Feed tube is ice cold going into the expansion valve as is the two lines on the other side. Small return line is warm. All that tells me it's gotta be a blend door issue.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Today on highway it was cool, but then as I got off ramp and idles it got ice cold. I can either have extremely cold ac or just barely cool ac. 212k on all parts.

I just don't want to change stuff to **** new parts and have real issues

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Today on highway it was cool, but then as I got off ramp and idles it got ice cold. I can either have extremely cold ac or just barely cool ac. 212k on all parts.

I just don't want to change stuff to **** new parts and have real issues

Yours sounds like it could be an air gap/clutch issue. Maybe under load the clutch can't stay clamped down. Or it could be the clutch coil going bad. I put a new clutch kit on mine a while back. Ac would blow cold for 200 miles then warm till the engine completely cooled. Ended up a coil issue. Can get the hub, clutch pulley, and coil in a kit for less than $100. Takes less than 30 min to install start to finish.
Next time it's not cooling see if the clutch is engaged or not.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
****... But while you're doing that might as well get a compressor and all... I'll check this out.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
So how about this, I have been having some slower starts. So I went to autozone to have the batteries tested since I have Duralast Golds. The passenger battery tested bad so it was replaced under warranty. This was over a week ago and my rear ac has been blowing ice cold ever since. Who would've thought???

Latest posts

Members online