Dump trailers - Dual ram or scissor?

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Last edited:

Atsah

Reaction score
My friend delivers 400 cord of firewood with his Bri-Mar dual piston trailer, it works good..

zporta

Reaction score
Dual ram has worked best for me and everyone I have ever talked to about it

JRLott

Reaction score
I don't really think it matters. One piston to leak and repair vs two. Fewer hoses. Less mechanical ****. Pick what you prefer on the trailer you prefer, and roll with it. In other words, the trailer / manufacturer would be more important to me than the lift cylinder arrangement.

JD3020

Reaction score
We have a small dump trailer with a single ram, never had an issue with it, but we have bent several rear axles on it. Just flimsy little 5 lugs. Also use a friends heavy 12ft trailer which is a single ram scissor lift, 0 issues with it either and we load it pretty heavy. Like others have said i would prefer 1 ram vs 2 in terms of repair/maintenance costs if the cylinders ever started to leak.

dsberman94

Reaction score
The work trailer my boss has is a single ram bri-mar. We usually use it for shingles off the roofs we strip but he was running 5 tons of rock from the stone pit next door on Friday and it lifted fine. Not that I'd say we should or would run it every day like that but it worked while we were waiting for the triaxle truck to show up.

And we built up the sides an extra 2' so we can fit more shingles in. It's about 5' total height now. Get what you need and get more than what you think you need.

Atsah

Reaction score
Personally I overkill everything, I like the support and even lifting of a ram on both sides..

Zmann

Reaction score
so single ram is under kill ?

l-kenworth-t880-10.jpg

Atsah

Reaction score
That's a whole nother animal.. If you look at the pivot point on most dump trailers it sits back towards the axle not way up front like a dump truck.. I have a dump truck and the piston pivot point in next to the cab NOT near the axle..

I have seen some dump trailers where the piston is further toward the tongue than others.. It makes a big difference..

Last edited:

Constructionworker

Reaction score
I don't know this for a fact but when I was looking for a dump trailer I was told to stay away from the dual ram.. I was told that they work great but double the chance for failure, also if one ram fails it will twist the dump bed and possibly cause damage.. Like I said, I'm just repeating what someone told me.

TyCorr

Reaction score
That's a whole nother animal.. If you look at the pivot point on most dump trailers it sits back towards the axle not way up front like a dump truck.. I have a dump truck and the piston pivot point in next to the cab NOT near the axle..

I have seen some dump trailers where the piston is further toward the tongue than others.. It makes a big difference..

And the connection point on a 6 wheeler is 4 1/2". Not 1 1/2.

My buddy Brian and Jerry were roofers turned rough carpenters, they got their equipment trailer from the atlas dealer and he sold dump trailers. I think they were load state or dump state or something. Theirs had two 7k axles and nice brakes and dual hydros and its was a dream to use for aggregates and mulches. As for roofing, I do NOT know because the pit we all use they pick the whole truck up and dump it. No kidding. From pickups to dumpster deliveties to semis. They park on a deck and it friggin dumps it out.

Atsah

Reaction score
And the connection point on a 6 wheeler is 4 1/2". Not 1 1/2.

My buddy Brian and Jerry were roofers turned rough carpenters, they got their equipment trailer from the atlas dealer and he sold dump trailers. I think they were load state or dump state or something. Theirs had two 7k axles and nice brakes and dual hydros and its was a dream to use for aggregates and mulches. As for roofing, I do NOT know because the pit we all use they pick the whole truck up and dump it. No kidding. From pickups to dumpster deliveties to semis. They park on a deck and it friggin dumps it out.

All of the paper mills up here have a dumper, back a 53 footer in and it picks up the whole truck cab and all and dumps it..

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
My dream for a dump trailer would be a front mounted ram. I know it would have to be telescopic and more expensive, but the stability and lifting ability would be amazing.

I have used several different direct mount dump trailers and the longer ones need help to get part way up before the trailer hydraulics would handle it.

Zmann

Reaction score
Dump-Trailers-Hoist-Img.png

Dual Ram Hoist – Although many people would think that two hoists are better than one, that is simply not the case. By having to rely on two cylinders working in tandem, this system is not as reliable as others. If one hoist were to ever get out of rhythm with the other, it could cause catastrophic frame twist and major damage. In addition, all lifting of the end is focused on the outer frame of the dump trailer, placing unnecessary stress on the frame. This system can lead to a shorter productive life for the frame of the trailer due to frame fatigue.

Single Ram Hoist – The Single Ram Hoist system is an economical system best utilized in home-owner style and light commercial applications. In the Big Tex product line, the 70SR & 10SR models feature this hoist system. By having only one hoist, this system requires less maintenance than the Dual Ram system and is less susceptible to frame twist and failure.

Scissor Hoist – The Scissor Hoist is the premier hoist system for commercial applications. When using a scissor hoist, the lifting pressure is spread over a wider surface area, less stress is placed on critical frame locations and is more efficient at lifting the bed. The wider base of the Scissor Hoist also makes it much more stable for raising and lowering of shifting or uneven cargo. Scissor hoists are featured on all commercial grade Big Tex

to add fuel ;-)

7.3obs

Reaction score
The trailer I use to haul firewood is a sissor hoist and it dumps 5 cords no problem. The things I don't like about it is that it's power down not just a limited dump valve. And finally the back of the trailer with the dump completely up is very close to the ground, I have torn up some lawns because of it.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Dump-Trailers-Hoist-Img.png

to add fuel ;-)

Talk about manufacturers snake oil.......

Any body ever see a cat loader with a single hydraulic cylinder to lift the main boom? Yea I didn't think so. Any of the options are good. The most important question to ask is what the lift capacity of the hoist is. My uncle has a 14' brimar 14k trailer with dual two stage lift cylinders and it works pretty good. You can put too much weight at the front and it not want to lift. But you're grossly over weight at that point. I forget how they achieved it. I think it only happened once. May of been full of stone. And I mean full.

PDT1081

Reaction score
My dream for a dump trailer would be a front mounted ram. I know it would have to be telescopic and more expensive, but the stability and lifting ability would be amazing.

I have used several different direct mount dump trailers and the longer ones need help to get part way up before the trailer hydraulics would handle it.

Since you mention stability with a single telescopic. Just this past week I watched a tandem dump truck try to dump while leaning slightly. When the dumbass realized he was going to go over, he put the bed down and crushed his hydraulic reservoir that was located in the doghouse.

I will point out that every single axle dump truck I've seen has had a scissor dump. There's a reason for that.