203 thermostat or not

bordo380

Reaction score
Who all is running the 203* stat in their rigs?
I need a new one and was going to upgrade during the change. I think stock is 195?

After we hit colder weather I'm convinced my stat is stuck open. I drove it an hour and it never warmed up to the point that the EBP valve would constantly open and shut at highway speeds. It was annoying. I hope that it will warm up and this thing will settle down.
One day I'll ****** it.

79jasper

Reaction score
Do the simple thing and unplug it.
Ebpv and thermostat are mostly unrelated.
I have the 203, but I doubt the thermostat is your problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
I would go with the 195° no one has ever posted real world gains in fuel economy all while running things hotter which is not good on things like injector cups and o rings etc etc. I rather have a cooler Stat to allow buffer room for things to warm up on a hard pull etc.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Who all is running the 203* stat in their rigs?
I need a new one and was going to upgrade during the change. I think stock is 195?

After we hit colder weather I'm convinced my stat is stuck open. I drove it an hour and it never warmed up to the point that the EBP valve would constantly open and shut at highway speeds. It was annoying. I hope that it will warm up and this thing will settle down.
One day I'll ****** it.

Ebpv shuts off at 141-142 oil temp. It would turn off if I ran my 180* Tstat. I'm just leaving the 195 in till spring because I enjoy heat.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I live in Maine, we get plenty of cold-azz weather. I replaced the EBPV with a non-EBPV pedestal and run a 203*TS. Very happy with it. If you plan on idling a lot, you may want to keep the EBPV, however it's a hindrance IMO until the truck is up to temp, and some days that is never. (Drove 30 miles the other day in -15* tamps and the truck never got to full operating temps.) And it's always a potential oil leak.

Also, good strong batteries (850CCA or better) and a quality synthetic make life easier as well.

79jasper

Reaction score
The following winter after I put the 203 in, I drove without the fan.
Into the 20's going down the highway, it won't sit at its normal spot.
Next suggestion would be a winter front, or diy route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bordo380

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I knew most of you have experienced these issues. Going hotter does raise a flag since I live in Texas. At this point I would settle for stat that isn't stuck open. I think it's been that way since I've owned it.

I need to research how to unplug the EBPV. I did although replace the tube and sensor a few months back.

bordo380

Reaction score
Ebpv shuts off at 141-142 oil temp. It would turn off if I ran my 180* Tstat. I'm just leaving the 195 in till spring because I enjoy heat.

Wow so mine is really cold or screwed up. We haven't had a freeze in 2 years. So it's new to me.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I knew most of you have experienced these issues. Going hotter does raise a flag since I live in Texas. At this point I would settle for stat that isn't stuck open. I think it's been that way since I've owned it.

I need to research how to unplug the EBPV. I did although replace the tube and sensor a few months back.

The plug for it is on the turbo pedestal, but it's pretty far down in there. Easiest place I've found to see it is standing on the driver side of the truck. I don't remember if you have to take the intercooler pipe off or it but you'll eventually see it down there once you dig through all the wires. Just unplug it with the truck off. It will throw a soft code which will come up with a code reader but there will be no check engine light. If it bother you riffraff diesel sells a little dodad that you plug into the wire connector that is supposed to get rid of the code.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Ebpv shuts off at 141-142 oil temp.

^^^^^Yea, right.....total bullsh!t^^^^^ <----- this is not direct towards you but towards Ford's programming.

When I plug my truck in, the EBPV doesn't activate. I drove for 2.5hrs with the cruise set at 70 mph. I get off the exit ramp and guess what is opening/closing....the POS, useless EBPV. The way I got the EBPV from opening/closing after warm up, I had to shut the motor off and restart it. The other way to stop the EBPV from operating is by plugging the truck in.

To those that unplug the EBP solenoid, the rod going into the pedestal is going to eventually start leaking oil. You'll be better off getting a deeelete pedestal. And while you're at it, gut the flap.

For the trucks that don't warm up, check the fan clutch. If the clutch is locked up all the time, the motor will not warm up.

Billy T.
[email protected]

bordo380

Reaction score
Well it’s a year later and DFW finally got a freeze. We needed it. It’s been 18-25 for a few days now.
As usual my EBP Valve has a mind of its own. I think I’ll try and did through the wires and unplug it.

As for my temp, does this look normal? This is after driving an hour on the interstate. I’m getting warm air. I know the needle gets much higher in the summer but never at the half way mark.
Maybe my fan clutch is stuck?

Anyway thanks as always team.

1368a7657f7387072ea1635db791f3e7.jpg

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Your needle should be higher than that. When I ran the 203 thermostat it was up towards the middle and would blow very hot air. I've since switched back to the stock thermostat and the needle is a little lower (still close to the middle) and the air doesn't blow quite as hot.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Where'd you get the 203 stat from?
Years ago I went through 2 different stats in as many weeks. All parts store junk, didn't go oem as guys said even those were hit and miss and at $70 or whatever I wasn't going to chance it. The truck warmed up great for a few days then nothing again. Only when I put in a stat from Diesel Site did it get up to temp and stay there, for years until I sold the truck.

So I can't confirm the fan clutch as a possible issue, my experience was with junk stats.

bordo380

Reaction score
Where'd you get the 203 stat from?

Years ago I went through 2 different stats in as many weeks. All parts store junk, didn't go oem as guys said even those were hit and miss and at $70 or whatever I wasn't going to chance it. The truck warmed up great for a few days then nothing again. Only when I put in a stat from Diesel Site did it get up to temp and stay there, for years until I sold the truck.

So I can't confirm the fan clutch as a possible issue, my experience was with junk stats.

I actually never put the 203 in there. Maybe I should. Maybe the one currently in there is bad. It was from PO so there is no telling.

I need to inspect the fan clutch.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Negative experience here with the 203. It lasted just under 2 years before it would stick and take my engine upwards of 220. I put in a o reilly 195 cheapo and it's been over 2 years and I keep heat very well into single digits. Engines sits around 185° when idling at lights and 19x° highway. Some one gave me a 203 new in the box and its still just sitting at work.

Dan V

Reaction score
That truck needs a new 'stat. With the 195 it should just a tad less than in the middle of the gauge...given an hour on the interstate.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.