Torque converter installation troubles

wadeclinton

Reaction score
I am working on a 02', 7.3 Excursion. The transmission is used and from a 150k mile wrecked truck. The original trans has a damaged bell housing from a wreck the Excursion was involved in. I know a built trans is the way to go but the cost of that is not possible currently. Were saving for that.

I am installing a new torque converter in the transmission. The new to me torque converter it came with has a deformed shaft. I don't know if if that deformation is from the guy who pulled it or me inadvertently damaging it on a previous install attempt. Any rate I have a new re-manufactured torque converter to install. I've not forced the trans on in previous attempts, I could tell something was up, I only recently discovered the deformation.

I can get the first two shafts to align, however I cannot get the torque converter to fully seat into the oil pump. I've rotated the torque converter numerous times with out success. I have two other transmissions at my disposal that I've successfully installed the torque converters on.

I do not see any obvious signs of damage in the pump area. I am able to manipulate the oil pump alignment ring that converter aligns into, it rotates freely, and has some side to side play. I think the alignment ring is falling to one side prohibiting the torque converter from fully seating. Theoretically this should not matter as the torque converter shaft is beveled, I assume to assist in install alignment. Both of my other transmissions have similar oil pump ring play. However I cant get the torque converter to seat. What am I missing?

For reference I've consulted Google, YouTube, etc with no real results.

I've also checked all the forums for info the two below seemed most helpful.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/887005-e4od-torque-converter-installation.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1384149-e4od-t-c-seated-depth.html

In the second link post #5 Mark Kovalsky states the torque converters are installed in vertical position at the factory. Is that what i need to be doing? Seems odd as I'm able to install converters on the other transmissions horizontally.

Can anyone see something I'm missing?

Latest posts

Members online