Coolant flow direction

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
So tomorrow I am going to install a webasto thermo top C in my truck, because I hate cold starting it when I'm working in brutal North Dakota.. my question is, does anyone have a coolant flow diagram so I know where to the into for even heating of the motor?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Even heating? Anywhere you put flow it's going to circle entire engine and heater core. I imagine this is similar to a circ type heater? Easier spot would be the heater core lines, lots of room there.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
It is a circ heater, diesel fired... they're pretty awesome units, I think it has a 140° shut off... I was thinking of pulling from the lower radiator hose, I have the IH water pump and have several unused plugs there, and dumping into the heater core, but I just didn't know where coolant goes after it leaves the heater core

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I know it gets cold up there, but damn that's why those things are $900+....

The block heater itself isn't doing a good enough job? Mine keeps my oil at 66° and coolant around 100°. That's at single digits negative temps.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I got a really good deal on eBay... over in Europe, they have laws against your vehicle idling for more than a few min.. so they have the webastos on the diesel cars as "parking heaters" I paid like $140 shipped, I'll be into this setup around $300

As far as the block heater, it does work, and my truck will start, but it definitely does not like it.. plus when the wind blows, the motor doesn't stay very warm at all, and we always have wind up here... I want my truck to last as long as possible, and I figure this will help.. plus instant heat in the cab is pretty nice

cleatus12r

Reaction score
Like any coolant circulating heater, you need to pull from a low spot in the cooling system such as the bottom of the radiator or block drain plug and then dump back into a higher spot such as the heater hose that connects to the right cylinder head. I'm not certain about the Webasto heaters, but the Kat's (and similar) "tank heaters" have a check valve that prevents reverse flow back through the heater when the engine is running, but if plumbing into the heater hose outlet on the head, you'll have to be certain the engine isn't just pumping hot coolant back to the bottom of the radiator or the bottom of the block.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online