Secondary water pump leaking?

Reaction score
What do you think? Is this coming from the secondary water pump?
20180115_080954.jpg

Reaction score
After looking at it again the fluid feels like oil and looks really clear. I am now thinking the ac compressor? Does this usually leak like this because there's a good bit that has leaked out but it seems to have stopped and my coolant hasn't dropped.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Look upwards more. Ive seen a few egr hoses wear holes thru them, the coolant crossover gaskets leak occasionally, ac stuff would usually tend to be a bright green. The way its running down the block behind the compressor seems like something else is probably leakimg. I have yet to see a secondary pump leak, for whatever thats worth...

04cr450

Reaction score
^ i hope its not bright green,that means someone put dye in it to fi d a potential leak. Refrigerant oil should be clear and will have a distinct smell to it.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
I had a secondary water pump leak and oddly my coolant level didn't drop that much either.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
^ i hope its not bright green,that means someone put dye in it to fi d a potential leak. Refrigerant oil should be clear and will have a distinct smell to it.

They tend to come with dye, even from the factory. Hell ive taken stuff apart at 50 miles that looked like Shrek's piss in the ac system...

Damn near all the oil we put in when doing ac stuff is mixed with dye as well. Someone will throw a ottle of dye in the oil canister on the machine, and pretty much all the oil for next month or so that gets injected is green.

04cr450

Reaction score
They tend to come with dye, even from the factory. Hell ive taken stuff apart at 50 miles that looked like Shrek's piss in the ac system...

Damn near all the oil we put in when doing ac stuff is mixed with dye as well. Someone will throw a ottle of dye in the oil canister on the machine, and pretty much all the oil for next month or so that gets injected is green.

Learn something new everyday. Ive been working with refrigerant oil for years and never have seen this. I am sure its an automotive practice then.

Reaction score
It never leaked again and the fluid was mostly clear with a very slight green tinting. It didn't really smell but rubbing it it did feel oily. I don't think it's the secondary because it wasn't coming from that high up. More like from behind the ac compressor. I was having issues with the ac system not cooling properly last summer. It would cool some and sometimes not with the ac compressor turning off and on when it was really hot outside. Sometimes I could cut it off for 15 minutes and back on and it would work.

Reaction score
This weekend I'm going to loosen the belt and check to see how the compressor feels. If it is the compressor, is it possible some how to swap it out then take it in and have Ford pull a vacuum and recharge it. I know freon may just escape but not sure since oil has leaked out if there would be freon or if that's connected. Never really messed with an ac system so any advise is appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online