Rear differential

dadada

Reaction score
Went to drive my truck today and it wouldn't move so then I backed up and it moved. Then I drove forward about 10 feet and it moved fine went to back up again and it wouldn't move. Sometimes it will move forward and sometimes it will move backwards. Almost like something is in a bind. I drained the gear oil it seemed no signs of any metal. Any ideas?

dadada

Reaction score
Here's what I found out. Took rear cover off and nothing looks broke. Drivers side tire will turn freely by hand in neutral. The passenger side rear will move freely until it gets to a certain spot then locks up and won't move. It will move back and forth until it gets to the same spot then locks up.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Here's what I found out. Took rear cover off and nothing looks broke. Drivers side tire will turn freely by hand in neutral. The passenger side rear will move freely until it gets to a certain spot then locks up and won't move. It will move back and forth until it gets to the same spot then locks up.

What does your parking brake look like? Pull the rotor and look at it.

dadada

Reaction score
What does your parking brake look like? Pull the rotor and look at it.

I'm going to take the wheel off tomorrow and check that area next. It acts as almost something is sticking out and stopping the wheel from going all the way around if that kind of makes sense.

PDT1081

Reaction score
I'm going to take the wheel off tomorrow and check that area next. It acts as almost something is sticking out and stopping the wheel from going all the way around if that kind of makes sense.

The parking brake is basically a drum brake inside the rotor. The backing plate (where the shoes mount) has a tendency to rust out.

Brandon_OMA#692

Reaction score
Unbolt the axle shaft then try to spin the wheel. If problem is the same it is not the diff. most likely brake but could be a bearing or even a rock between the wheel and caliper.

dadada

Reaction score
Ok, parking brake pads come apart and pieces were laying inside the brake rotor binding up, keeping wheel from going all the way around. Thanks all for the help.

dadada

Reaction score
Now got another small issue. I was towing a car on my trailer and noticed when turning sharp left or right, feels like my rearend is grabbing, if that makes sense. I put about 3.5 quarts valvoline 75w140 and 8 oz of friction modifier in it. Any ideas?

dmd

Reaction score
I had to go back to the Ford diff oil for mine to stop chattering. Still does it a little but nothing like when I was running any other diff oil. Not sure why it is special.

dadada

Reaction score
I drained gear oil that was in the rearend. Put Lucas gear oil back in it. Good to go now.

Latest posts

Members online