Best first diesel

Fixemall

Reaction score
I am looking at buying my first diesel truck I wanted to get some options on what you guys suggested I'm not going to spend 10s of thousands of dollars looking under 10,000 looking for a late 7.3 or late 6.0 what do you guys suggest. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Depends on if you wanna go fast or not later.

7.3 will have less issues. Pretty much only see oil leaks, and valve cover gaskets and harnesses. Either one will have front end issues, 05-07 6.0 will ride the best. The 7.3 wont get you anywhere in a hurry unless you have fairly deep pockets.

6.0 motors have more issues, egr, oil coolers, head gaskets, lifters, and oil leaks. Tune only will be faster than a smallis set of injectors and a turbo upgrade on a 7.3, and 05-07 are gonna ride the best and turn the best due to the coil spring front end.

250 vs 350 are gonna be close to the same, dont let that be a deciding factor, unles you want a dually, then its 350 only unless you find a 450 that had a bed grafted onto it. But those ride like ****.

Fixemall

Reaction score
Depends on if you wanna go fast or not later.

7.3 will have less issues. Pretty much only see oil leaks, and valve cover gaskets and harnesses. Either one will have front end issues, 05-07 6.0 will ride the best. The 7.3 wont get you anywhere in a hurry unless you have fairly deep pockets.

6.0 motors have more issues, egr, oil coolers, head gaskets, lifters, and oil leaks. Tune only will be faster than a smallis set of injectors and a turbo upgrade on a 7.3, and 05-07 are gonna ride the best and turn the best due to the coil spring front end.

250 vs 350 are gonna be close to the same, dont let that be a deciding factor, unles you want a dually, then its 350 only unless you find a 450 that had a bed grafted onto it. But those ride like ****.

Okay thanks for the suggestion I'm not looking to go fast just want something that will tow and I can do mods as I go. I'm pretty good with engines I just rebuilt a 302 5.0 f150 so I am going to sell that and get some a little newer and bigger.

ghohouston

Reaction score
6.0's are money pits, and problematic. Ficm's, injectors, high pressure oil leaks, lifters/cams, etc. Be prepared to spend probably $3-5k on a 6.0 after you buy one. Regardless of what you buy though, make sure you get to see/hear it cold start, and check for blowby.

Fixemall

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment I am leaning towards the 7.3 does anyone know the fuel mileage for the 7.3 vs 6.0

mandkole

Reaction score
Good call--

Get a code/obd2 reader software or module immediately after purchase. You will learn faster about how they work and be able to correctly communicate with others about issues.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well, like literally everyone here, you MUST start off with a 7.3... then when you move up through out the years you can say 'nothing like my 7.3, shouldn't have sold it'

Fixemall

Reaction score
Good call--

Get a code/obd2 reader software or module immediately after purchase. You will learn faster about how they work and be able to correctly communicate with others about issues.

My dad has a small shop and inspection station so I have access to a scanner and lift extra

Fixemall

Reaction score
Well, like literally everyone here, you MUST start off with a 7.3... then when you move up through out the years you can say 'nothing like my 7.3, shouldn't have sold it'

Hey you can't go wrong with the old 7.3 right

dmd

Reaction score
Good call--

Scan it before you buy it..

Fixemall

Reaction score
Is there any suggestions on whether I should look for a extended cab long bed or a 4dr long or short pros and cons or is it more personal preference

Latest posts

Members online