Eaton fuller transmission questions

EPA

Reaction score
I am thinking of swapping a 13 speed into the excursion... I know I need air going to it which I already have because of the bagged 4 link rear I just finished.
My question is, how the air used in these medium/heavy duty transmissions? Do they just hold air pressure or do they bleed any of it out during use.. If so how much?

Also has anyone seen any Eaton/roadranger installed in a superduty? I know the sae2 bellhousing bolts up to the 7.3. And I know I will need to tunnel the floor/firewall.. Will adapting to the tail yoke on the Eaton be easy or will it need to be a machined custom job?

08Monster

Reaction score
I am thinking of swapping a 13 speed into the excursion... I know I need air going to it which I already have because of the bagged 4 link rear I just finished.

My question is, how the air used in these medium/heavy duty transmissions? Do they just hold air pressure or do they bleed any of it out during use.. If so how much?

Also has anyone seen any Eaton/roadranger installed in a superduty? I know the sae2 bellhousing bolts up to the 7.3. And I know I will need to tunnel the floor.. Will adapting to the tail yoke on the Eaton be easy or will it need to be a machined custom job?
I can only answer a little bit of it, they hold the air when you shift a range or split. One quick shot and done.

First off, why would you want to do this? You'll never need 13 speeds, I feel this is a total waste. Plus, these transmissions are seriously heavy. Probably looking at triple the weight of the factory, and twice the size.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

EPA

Reaction score
I can only answer a little bit of it, they hold the air when you shift a range or split. One quick shot and done.

First off, why would you want to do this? You'll never need 13 speeds, I feel this is a total waste. Plus, these transmissions are seriously heavy. Probably looking at triple the weight of the factory, and twice the size.

That's what I thought.. Thanks for clarifying that.. I knew they used are during the split but was unsure if they were constantly bleeding off air. My electric pump wouldn't handle constant use. Haha.

11k trailer... The rockies... Would be nice to split gears..
My rear suspension is a total waste.. Over load bags and a flip kit would have worked.. But that's boring.. Easy bolt on parts are in every car guys ride.. I have all the Eaton parts laying around... Why not use them.. Beats 4500 on an auto rebuild when the time comes... 450lbs extra is no big deal... I'm 2wd stock bumpers.. 31 inch tires.. Im not tipping any scales at the moment.
I would rather a 10 speed but I dont have 1. With either I would skip over gears when not needed.

If I could find a 6 speed swap for cheap that would be cool but no luck yet.

08Monster

Reaction score
That's what I thought.. Thanks for clarifying that.. I knew they used are during the split but was unsure if they were constantly bleeding off air. My electric pump wouldn't handle constant use. Haha.

11k trailer... The rockies... Would be nice to split gears..

My rear suspension is a total waste.. Over load bags and a flip kit would have worked.. But that's boring.. Easy bolt on parts are in every car guys ride.. I have all the Eaton parts laying around... Why not use them.. Beats 4500 on an auto rebuild when the time comes... 450lbs extra is no big deal... I'm 2wd stock bumpers.. 31 inch tires.. Im not tipping any scales at the moment.

I would rather a 10 speed but I dont have 1. With either I would skip over gears when not needed.

If I could find a 6 speed swap for cheap that would be cool but no luck yet.
A zf6 seems like a much easier option! I know I could pull 10k+ lbs up anyhill in the world with 6 speeds. Hell, I could do it with 2.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
The only transmission I would consider would be an Eaton super 10. Much smaller overall and you can fly through the gears once you know what you’re doing.

EPA

Reaction score
If I sounded like a D*** ... not my intention.. Just a big waste comment can be used for many things... Big tires and fancy wheels, custom bumpers ,stereos, accessories, ect.

EPA

Reaction score
A zf6 seems like a much easier option! I know I could pull 10k+ lbs up anyhill in the world with 6 speeds. Hell, I could do it with 2.

Anyone can pull up a hill with 2.. But how efficient is it.. How much strain is it all seeing.... Heck I could ride a bike up a hill in high gear.. My body will hate me for it but it can be done.

EPA

Reaction score
The only transmission I would consider would be an Eaton super 10. Much smaller overall and you can fly through the gears once you know what you’re doing.

I know I wish I had one laying around... I am calling local yards to see if they are interested in a trade.. These things are hard to sell haha. The 10 also has a hetter final ratio which is close to the zf6.

Last edited:

m_j

Reaction score

a super 10 will be much larger then a 6613

EPA

Reaction score
Yeah I looked back at the model # I have been looking for and its a 9 speed weighs less and the final ratio is better then this 13 and the max tq rating is the same.. 950.. I dont have any big power items so it wouldnt be a problem.
Thought it was the 10 my confusion.

Still wondering about the yoke and drive line. This maybe the deciding factor haha.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online