Mahle piston tolerances ?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You can make 600 hp but you need all the supporting mods to keep it together. Mild tuning and 600hp doesn't go hand in hand unless its overbuilt with big injectors and turbo. Then it would be a smokey sob...

live life full throttle

Zeb

Reaction score
You can make 600 hp but you need all the supporting mods to keep it together. Mild tuning and 600hp doesn't go hand in hand unless its overbuilt with big injectors and turbo. Then it would be a smokey sob...

live life full throttle

Very true.
600hp is pushing it a bit on stock forged rods.
238/80’s, Adrenaline, S366, fuel system, and a basically stock long block would be 500/550hp, a barrel of fun to drive, and no worries about the bottom end.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Very true.

600hp is pushing it a bit on stock forged rods.

238/80’s, Adrenaline, S366, fuel system, and a basically stock long block would be 500/550hp, a barrel of fun to drive, and no worries about the bottom end.
Yep

live life full throttle

Redrock2000

Reaction score
Lubbock Texas by way of Detroit ( birthplace unfor
I picked 600 hp as a peak due to that was the number it seamed to be the breaking point for the rest of the drive train. Above that from what I've researched was a big jump in cost for the transmission. I appreciate y'alls input and agree that 550 is a better number for reliability on the stock rods. My plan was 250/100 with a s369 for the air and fuel if I found a decent deal on a used engine and built bottom on this engine over more time. I've tossed so many different combinations, dt360, Cummins with a ZF swap to get something started on the truck. But the lack of any diesel competition around me detoured anything like that. I will take it down our little 8th mile track here ever so often though. I don't tow anything heavy but would like to have that ability if the need ever came up. This is a ongoing " bucket list " project as I don't plan to ever get rid of the truck. I've built quite a few drag cars, hot rods and resto mods in my life and this will probably be my last real project who knows. I just want to do the best I can with the money available. Thanks again y'all for the info and Zeb if you ever come back through west Texas again let me know I'll put a brisket on the pit.

Last edited:

Zeb

Reaction score
I picked 600 hp as a peak due to that was the number it seamed to be the breaking point for the rest of the drive train. Above that from what I've researched was a big jump in cost for the transmission. I appreciate y'alls input and agree that 550 is a better number for reliability on the stock rods. My plan was 250/100 with a s369 for the air and fuel if I found a decent deal on a used engine and built bottom on this engine over more time. I've tossed so many different combinations, dt360, Cummins with a ZF swap to get something started on the truck. But the lack of any diesel competition around me detoured anything like that. I will take it down our little 8th mile track here ever so often though. I don't tow anything heavy but would like to have that ability if the need ever came up. This is a ongoing " bucket list " project as I don't plan to ever get rid of the truck. I've built quite a few drag cars, hot rods and resto mods in my life and this will probably be my last real project who knows. I just want to do the best I can with the money available. Thanks again y'all for the info and Zeb if you ever come back through west Texas again let me know I'll put a brisket on the pit.

Here’s something to think about.
I have a friend with a 2000 F250, 4x4, 4 door long bed. Completely stock long block (stock headbolts, stock valve springs, etc) with an Adrenaline, my 250/100’s, bellowed up pipes, KC 66/73/1.0, Walbro GSL392 fuel pump, RiffRaff FRx, and gutted stock fuel fittings in the heads.
He daily drives, tows regularly, and his drag strip mph puts him well over 500 hp to the wheels.

That brisket offer is super tempting, especially considering that I’m up at Conway combining wheat!!

Redrock2000

Reaction score
Ive seen similar builds as your friends making right around the 500hp mark. My first thought was a KC38r drop in but my son needed my cac pipes and his friend my spider and uppipes. I figured by the time I replaced those and bought bellowed up pipes Id be pretty close to paying for the T4 install. How long are you in Conway? Is that what you do for a living now? The 4th is in a couple weeks definitely brisket time. Lol

Zeb

Reaction score
Ive seen similar builds as your friends making right around the 500hp mark. My first thought was a KC38r drop in but my son needed my cac pipes and his friend my spider and uppipes. I figured by the time I replaced those and bought bellowed up pipes Id be pretty close to paying for the T4 install. How long are you in Conway? Is that what you do for a living now? The 4th is in a couple weeks definitely brisket time. Lol

I’d definitely go T-4 if I were in your shoes.

No, this isn’t my normal gig, just here helping a friend until July 13.

Redrock2000

Reaction score
You will need a stouter transmission.

live life full throttle

Oh yeah that's probably the biggest expense up front. It'll probably be after I refi the house lol. Been looking at Dorsey built stage 2. Haven't really seen any feedback on them but I figured if Irate sells them that should say something. My other option would be drive up to Leadhill and get a BTS put in after the engine is done. I highly dislike doing a trans swap on my back.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Oh yeah that's probably the biggest expense up front. It'll probably be after I refi the house lol. Been looking at Dorsey built stage 2. Haven't really seen any feedback on them but I figured if Irate sells them that should say something. My other option would be drive up to Leadhill and get a BTS put in after the engine is done. I highly dislike doing a trans swap on my back.
Go with whats cosest.

Lol. Brian doesn't use lifts either. He lays on his back.

live life full throttle

dsberman94

Reaction score
I’m running factory forged rods in mine. Headstuds, irate diesel fuel system, 250/200s and s369sxe. It’s fun but the trans with a upgraded torque converter and shift kit won’t hold it. Looking at 7-8k to make it hold. It’s a blast though. Borderline scary. Running it balls to the wall every day I wouldn’t expect it to hold occasionally turning it up to have some fun, I’m sure it’ll last a while. But it is Smokey and I’m running jelibuilt tunes.

Redrock2000

Reaction score
I’m running factory forged rods in mine. Headstuds, irate diesel fuel system, 250/200s and s369sxe. It’s fun but the trans with a upgraded torque converter and shift kit won’t hold it. Looking at 7-8k to make it hold. It’s a blast though. Borderline scary. Running it balls to the wall every day I wouldn’t expect it to hold occasionally turning it up to have some fun, I’m sure it’ll last a while. But it is Smokey and I’m running jelibuilt tunes.

So you're running basically a stock 4R ?

Latest posts

Members online