Zf5 issue

rskybizintrees

Reaction score
Zf5 in my 97 with 7.3 issue.
Started my truck this am for warm up after I was out of the truck and 5 min later truck lurches forward and stalls ( glad it was third gear as my porch or house would have felt it) anyway it is stuck in gear despite shifter still moves and locates all shift positions. Anyone lead me in a good direction to get it out of gear. I have jacked up the rear wheels tried the back and forth while in neutral and in third to get it freed up. Zero prior issues.
What say the masses?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bugman

Reaction score
No idea other than moving the drive shaft and not the wheels while someone is trying to shift it out of gear.

My question is how did it get into 3rd gear with no one in the truck?

At any rate you may be in for a rebuild or used transmission.

rskybizintrees

Reaction score
I wish I knew how it did it! Sort of has me spooked to leave it running while not in it if I can get it out of it's current state. All my reading says great tranny and I could find no info or threads about it happening to others.
If they are a decent trans would you chance a junk yard one?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bugman

Reaction score
I think that I would either try and find someone to rebuild the one that I had or see if I could find one that has been rebuilt and carries a warranty. If you found one in a junk yard they might offer a very short one if any at all.

When my tail housing was cracked and fluid was leaking I did a few searches and found a seller that sold rebuilt ones for around $1200 + core charge. But I found a shop in Denver that would rebuild it for me and replace the tail housing.

superpsd

Reaction score
Might pull the shifter and take a look down in from above. Might be a broken shift fork. Or shift rail issue of some sort. Most likely will need disassembly.

Latest posts

Members online