Coolant Everywhere...How Bad Is This?

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
So I wrote about the coolant flush I did a few days ago, and the blackfish that I did on my oil cooler, all in prep to pull a fifth when to a new location. The drive down to get it was pretty uneventful. I saw a small drip by the heater core valve. Oil temps stayed close to 209-235, coolant temps 185-205. Deltas were often +/- 15, sometimes +/- 35.

Got the trailer on a couple hours after arriving, and as I pulled away deltas were +/- 7 @ 45 mph. I didn’t take it above 60, deltas climbed to +/- 25. I pull over after about 25 mins, and there’s a ton of coolant dripping near the front of the truck, it’s wet everywhere down below, and super dry up top with the exception of a big new splatter on the hot side cac tube and coolant filter hose.

How bad is this? What am I likely looking at?

227dc98f73469fb044000618ed887cad.jpg

3a2e865e5815a89da2b5b55cd76f9830.jpg

111c173a6303cdb23da4eff39b7df716.jpg

7309616308959b170c06317618446495.jpg

4ae8708fc122a74dca29e95918a46a81.jpg

15d89257fd5bbfa7cf6645e76958ef3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You may have separated the tank on the radiator. Actually just had this happen on a customers truck on me today during a road test, dumped 2 gal of water in it to get it back to the shop, and near the end of the second gallon, it was pissing out of the top crimp on the tank.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

TooManyToys

Reaction score
Considering during your backflush you also got the heater coolant flow valve to leak, just how much pressure did you use for backflushing? I'd also check around the water pump as you may have blown a seal there.

Zeb

Reaction score
You may have separated the tank on the radiator. Actually just had this happen on a customers truck on me today during a road test, dumped 2 gal of water in it to get it back to the shop, and near the end of the second gallon, it was out of the top crimp on the tank.

This. ^^^^
I’ve seen 2 do it.

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
Considering during your backflush you also got the heater coolant flow valve to leak, just how much pressure did you use for backflushing? I'd also check around the water pump as you may have blown a seal there.

Just slow garden hose pressure. I think the heater core valve issue may have been me handling it roughly. But I also don’t know what damage happened before I got the truck...

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
I took it to the Ford dealer, and they said it was a thermostat housing. I decided to do the work myself. I got the Sinister housing, but neither the OEM or an aftermarket thermostat fit. :-/ So I put in the OEM assembly.

There’s still something wrong, though. Just watching it run there’s light splatter constantly being thrown from the fan, and the area on the fan axle is soaked. Still, I drove it and the temps stayed decent. Not awesome, because I bet the oil cooler is still plugged and there some leaking because of whatever is causing the fan to spray, but decent enough to get all the way home.

I’m guessing it’s a gasket near the water pump, so that’s my next project, and I figure at the same time I can pull the radiator and look at it and see if I messed that up.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Zeb

Reaction score
I took it to the Ford dealer, and they said it was a thermostat housing. I decided to do the work myself. I got the Sinister housing, but neither the OEM or an aftermarket thermostat fit. :-/ So I put in the OEM assembly.

There’s still something wrong, though. Just watching it run there’s light splatter constantly being thrown from the fan, and the area on the fan axle is soaked. Still, I drove it and the temps stayed decent. Not awesome, because I bet the oil cooler is still plugged and there some leaking because of whatever is causing the fan to spray, but decent enough to get all the way home.

I’m guessing it’s a gasket near the water pump, so that’s my next project, and I figure at the same time I can pull the radiator and look at it and see if I messed that up.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Typical Sinister garbage. Stick with Motorcraft.
If you’re needing to drive it some before you get the leak fixed, leave the cap loose so there is no pressure on the system. It’ll slow the leak down if it is an oring, etc.
Make sure your leak isn’t around the water pump shaft. If it is, DONT drive it!! It really sucks when the bearings fail and the fan takes out the radiator/shroud/ fan wires/etc.

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
You may have separated the tank on the radiator. Actually just had this happen on a customers truck on me today during a road test, dumped 2 gal of water in it to get it back to the shop, and near the end of the second gallon, it was pissing out of the top crimp on the tank.

So is this the area I should be inspecting, and how can I know if it’s separated?

d76bb8354d1b668bc2f271d966bb57e7.jpg

7998eb435dab01708255edff4d014bdb.jpg

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So is this the area I should be inspecting, and how can I know if it’s separated?

d76bb8354d1b668bc2f271d966bb57e7.jpg

7998eb435dab01708255edff4d014bdb.jpg

Yes, either the top or the bottom. Sometimes you can see where the crimp spreads, other times, it has to be under pressure.

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
That’s exactly what did happen. I replaced it with a BPD water pump, but then went back to double check that the radiator hadn’t split. That turned out to be ok, and I have no more massive leaks as soon as I park the truck.

Latest posts

Members online