Bent push rods

EPA

Reaction score
Are push rods 100% true? Pulled some out and rolled them on a flat surface only so see that they had a slight warp to them... The gap between the table and rod center changes a bit when I spin them its minimal maybe a couple sheets of paper from high to low spots.. But I found this on almost all the rods... Is this normal.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Possibly time for valve guides. Cause next your going to be cracking rockers/fulcrums

97cherokee

Reaction score
Push rods should be true, otherwise you've got valve train issues or not stout enough for the application. These out of the one you pulled the I injectors out of?

EPA

Reaction score
Is your table perfectly flat?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Yes it is hand sanded by yours truly.. Haha just kidding... It is... Even so I leave the rods at a fixed point and spin them there is about a papers thickness is up and down at the center of the rods...

EPA

Reaction score
So I decided to pump pressure into the intake side of the spider and no leaks through the valves... Hit the exhaust mani folds and no leak through. Tells me valves are sitting tight.. Could have just been a high boost and missed shift situation I saw awhile back. Compression is good.. Leak down is okay as expected had some blow by but nothing crazy.
Thinking new rods and keep on driving.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So I decided to pump pressure into the intake side of the spider and no leaks through the valves... Hit the exhaust mani folds and no leak through. Tells me valves are sitting tight.. Could have just been a high boost and missed shift situation I saw awhile back. Compression is good.. Leak down is okay as expected had some blow by but nothing crazy.
Thinking new rods and keep on driving.
Unless you are going to go through your valve train, then just find good used straight ones.. unless you are 110% sure that your table is flat then no need to spend money on good rods. You will probably stamp the pistons.... now if you have upgraded springs then by all means go with smith brothers or the like.

live life full throttle

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Id run stocks. I kinda think you might be having valve guide issues. Ive seen it a dozen times. Randomly a truck bends a rod, then 6 months later again. Then find the guide is worn and valve is sticking open then bang from piston

EPA

Reaction score
Id run stocks. I kinda think you might be having valve guide issues. Ive seen it a dozen times. Randomly a truck bends a rod, then 6 months later again. Then find the guide is worn and valve is sticking open then bang from piston

I could see a few doing this but all of them at once is a bit harder to believe. Like I said all valves are tight and the bends are about .03mm-.06mm.
I will keep an eye on the rods once a month to see what happens though... Unfortunately I need to wrap up all my projects before an up coming move so I don't have time to dig into it that far.. I figure when I pull heads might as well pull the block and go through it all at the same time... More time and more funds then I'm wanting to spend at the moment haha.

Last edited:

EPA

Reaction score
Unless you are going to go through your valve train, then just find good used straight ones.. unless you are 110% sure that your table is flat then no need to spend money on good rods. You will probably stamp the pistons.... now if you have upgraded springs then by all means go with smith brothers or the like.

live life full throttle

Its hard to find any 7.3 parts local... Found some yesterday guy lives 40 minutes away and wants 60 bucks and who knows if they are actually true haha... Almost better off just buying some new stockers for 80. EBay could be hit or miss as well... Now if you have a good used set let me know.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Its hard to find any 7.3 parts local... Found some yesterday guy lives 40 minutes away and wants 60 bucks and who knows if they are actually true haha... Almost better off just buying some new stockers for 80. EBay could be hit or miss as well... Now if you have a good used set let me know.
Sorry man.. I lost all of my spare 7.3 parts with a shop fire last summer.

live life full throttle

EPA

Reaction score
Oh I misread. Thought it was one bent one. Sorry. Carry on

Its cool.. What you posted will stay in the brain for years to come, so if I run into an issue where specific rods keep bending I will have a good idea of what I should expect. Definitely appreciate first hand knowledge especially when its free :thumbsup:

Arisley

Reaction score
A piece of a mirror or a thick piece of glass is a good thing to test the push rods out on. You can usually trust that a mirror is good and flat.

EPA

Reaction score
A piece of a mirror or a thick piece of glass is a good thing to test the push rods out on. You can usually trust that a mirror is good and flat.

Yeah my table is glass haha. Did on mirror as well..tested stationary without rolling them across the surface just spinning the rods in 1 spot, same thing all bent around .04mm according to gauge.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Dang sorry to hear that...
Hopefully insurance did its job and no one was hurt.
Yeah. Nobody around when it burned. Thats whey it was burnt to the ground. Insurance did ok. Not near what i should have gotten but it was something for a bunch of used parts.. only thing that pissed me off losing was my box of black oem cps's... 6 of them. Brand new in boxes, gone!

live life full throttle

wildbill963258

Reaction score

Hit up CO04cobra on here he can get you the parts you need at a fair or cheap price and pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.