4r100 torque converter install

rockinhorse

Reaction score
Help... I cannot seem to get my TC in all the way. It is as far in as it will go while spinning back and forth etc. I get a measurement of 1" from bellhousing to flat area surrounding studs but the "nose" sticks out 1/8" past bellhousing. Is this correct? Some info I have seen says the "nose" must be inside the bellhousing. If I am not in far enough what do I need to check? Pump is in properly. The center output shaft sticks out of the pump splined shaft approx. same amount as I see in photos and videos. I have not measured that yet. Any help greatly appreciated.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Keep spinning it in one direction and push in at the same time. Sounds like it just needs lined up correctly to pop in.

You did fill it first with fluid right?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That would be the only reason to fill the converter before installing it.
Sorry. That was what brian at bts did when he put a converter in my trans and when i replaced one due to bolts backing out and screwing up the threads. Said to make sure it gets filled first.

So why wouldnt you fill it?

live life full throttle

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
So why wouldnt you fill it?
Because it makes a mess and doesn't help anything. It also doesn't hurt to fill it, but filling it does nothing to help the converter.

Once the trans is installed the converter will start filling as soon as the engine starts to crank.

Ford builds millions of automatic transmissions each year. They all have torque converters. None of these converters are filled before they are installed. There isn't a reason to fill it.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I usually fill it half way so it doesn’t make a mess while I bench press it into place. There’s just something strange about putting parts that spin together with no lube.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Because it makes a mess and doesn't help anything. It also doesn't hurt to fill it, but filling it does nothing to help the converter.

Once the trans is installed the converter will start filling as soon as the engine starts to crank.

Ford builds millions of automatic transmissions each year. They all have torque converters. None of these converters are filled before they are installed. There isn't a reason to fill it.
Ok. Makes sense. Obviously no damage can happen then... it has to at least save time from dumping fliud through the dipstick tube i would think.

live life full throttle

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I usually fill it half way so it doesn’t make a mess while I bench press it into place. There’s just something strange about putting parts that spin together with no lube.
The lube gets there as soon as the engine begins to crank.

Now there should be some lube on the input shaft before the torque converter is installed. The seals on the shaft need to be held in their grooves while installing the converter. The way to do this is to use trans assembly lube (We used Vaseline in the Ford Transmission Engineering Prototype lab - it's the same thing) in the grooves and press the seals down. When ATF hits the lube it dissolves and the seals spring into action.

rockinhorse

Reaction score
Hey all. Sorry for the late follow up. Turns out the TC was nearly locked up internally. Would barely spin with the shaft. Installed new TC and slipped right on as it should. Tranny installed and all is well with it. Shifts nice and runs around 130* unloaded on the freeway so far. I have another problem now. Just before I pulled the tranny I replaced the IPR valve and IPC sensor because it was running rough and had P1209, P1211 codes. I only drove it for one day and seemed better. Now its running rougher sometimes and same codes along with the exhaust back pressure codes. I am going to pull that sensor and clean the tube etc. It runs like I said a little rougher at times but sometimes seems to run ok but no power. Speed drops from 70 to 55 on minor hill about 1/4 mile long. Could there be a problem with the trans causing this or did I get a bad part(IPR or IPC)? What would happen if I connected the turbine shaft and output shaft speed sensors backwards? Wrong connector on wrong sensor?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
What would happen if I connected the turbine shaft and output shaft speed sensors backwards? Wrong connector on wrong sensor?
I don't know what would happen, but I know that connectors are designed to only fit on the one sensor. There are keys that prevent you from plugging it into the wrong place.

Latest posts

Members online