Is this tune or transmission related?

JMart

Reaction score
I purchased a BDX tuner from River City Diesel in January of last year while they were having a sale. It was last summer by the time I got around to installing it. I'm not sure who writes the tunes for RCD but I never liked the way the trans ran. One of my first complaints was the converter, after coasting when you go to get back in the throttle the rpms jump up 100 or so before the converter engages again. Doesn't matter what gear its in. I always thought this was weird. I don't remember if it was always that way and I just didn't notice it until after it was tuned.

I loaded the street tune in the truck first, I was fine for rest of the summer and fall 3-5k miles or so. Then randomly the truck felt like it missed a shift. The problem was I was cruising along at 70mph for a good 10 minutes straight so no reason for it to try to downshift. Im still not sure if the fuel cut off or the truck went into neutral. In under a second it was back to normal, but it was a violent enough action that I thought I broke something for sure. about 1500 miles it happens again. Then again about 500 miles later, then every 2-4 days. So I changed tunes. I loaded the tow tune and everything was fine. I few months pass and it starts doing this again. This time in other gears besides 6th. I have had it happen in 4th and 5th while cruising at a constant speed for several minutes. Same thing as before though once it starts it slowly starts happening more often. I changed to the race tune and it stops for awhile then starts up again. I am back in the street tune now and its only happened once since the change but it was recent.

I thought about trying out a tune from someone else but I didn't who or if anyone is still tuning on the BDX platform. I don't really want to spend the money on an ezlink and tunes just to test the issue.

Is there a parameter I can log that would be a good place to start looking to trouble shoot this stumble? If I can see that on the BDX does something like Forscan work for that.

Truck details
2016 F250 60k miles, tuned at 45k, oil changes every 7.5k full synthetic, fuel filters every 15k, trans filter/fluid changed at 50k.

Sorry for the long read, thanks for any help.

Motostroker

Reaction score
You probably cannot log input and output shaft speed on a SCT but I would log that too.

Pretty sure when it detects a 5-8 RPM delta it unlocks TC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JMart

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I will look into that and see what I find.

Latest posts

Members online